24 Hour Health Hotline  » Health  »
1.5
Saskatchewan, Canada
  • When I first used the free service I was not very impressed

• by Ghostwriter Mom
      When a person gets sick in Saskatchewan, they don’t always have to go to the doctor. There is a service called: Saskatchewan’s 24 Hour Health Hotline that you can call toll free at 1-877-644-8448 anytime. It’s run by qualified RN’s and they will give you information and tell you what to do. When I first used the free service I was not very impressed.

My whole family was sick, my kids were even worse than I was. When I called the service I was put on hold right away. I waited for 20 minutes just to talk

to someone.

Then, when I was asked what the matter was, I tried to tell them that all my children were sick including myself. They all had different symptoms and were various different ages. I started with the youngest.

I had hoped the RN would just give me the information I needed so I could get off the phone and attend to my crying children, but it took forever. First, they wouldn’t even talk to me without me having to dig out all the medical information from my purse that they wanted. I needed health cards and ...

• then I had to answer their extensive questionnaire.

It was annoying. Finally, after being on the phone for an hour, the RN told me some recommendations. It sounded as if she was reading from a computer screen…and she was.

If fact, it was the same stuff I had right in front of me in my own medical book. She was telling me stuff I already knew. The only other thing she told me was to take the child to the doctor.

Well, it was late at night, and I was not about to haul my kids to

the emergency room the way they were. I just needed some suggestions to keep them comfortable and a little bit of assurance that they were going to be okay. I didn’t get it.

The nurses were so ‘by the book’ they didn’t even seem human. After all that was finished, (for just one kid) the nurse asked me who was next. Well, I just shook my head and said, “no thanks.

” The whole ordeal had taken far too long…for nothing. No, I just got off the phone, put my kids to bed, and then went there myself. What a waste of time!

Michele says :

My daughter has some sort of a flu. She threw up large amounts of liquid in th wee hours of Sunday morning and has had diarehea since then. Its like she cannot retain any liquids at all. Today is Thursday….should I be taking her to the doctor`s at this point?

John says :

Yes, you should definitely take her to a doctor, especially if she’s of a really young age. It sounds like Stomach Flu. Until you get her to a Stomach doctor you should also keep her well hydrated.

Galega says :

You should fix an appointment over the phone and took her to a doctor immediately.

But, in the meantime, you must keep giving her ORS, like Electral powder. Remember, ORS is quite important and life saving stuffs in a situation like this.

Nicole says :

I`m on birth control and my period is regular but i started to spot 10days before my actual period. I got the cramps and everything but there wasn`t any blood. My breasts are tender and sore, i got mood swings. and i cry over nothing. Ive had these symptoms for the past couple weeks I did get my period last month on time. I don`t have any desire to eat. A friend said that I could be pregnant but I haven`t taken a test because i thought that it might be to early to tell if i am or not.

Galega says :

If you are a new user of any birth control pill, these symptoms might be just side effects.

Symptoms like cramps, breast tenderness and irregular menstruation (like sudden spotting) do happen with new users. You will be fine over time.

Mood swings is also a side effect of contraceptive pill. Sometimes you cry without any reason, that may be a sign of sudden mood changes.

Stay chill, don’t worry. You should be fine.

andrew says :

my wife is taking k flex and has stopped becuase of blood in stool should she see a doctor immediatly or should she see one at all

John says :

Andrew, she should see a doctor immediately, just to be on the safe side. Since it happened after taking k flex, which is an antibiotic, it could be a sign of a new infection.

Galega says :

Blood in the stool or urine are not considered as side effect of K Flex. This may be completely unrelated situation. Your wife has done good to stop the medicine (which may not be a reason, though).

Contact the doctor and discuss this problem. If the blood in stool repeats the next morning, some diagnostic test may be required to be done. otherwise, it should be fine.

Mark says :

A new prospective sexual partner has told me she had genital warts 10 years ago. She received treatment, and has been symptom free since. Am I at risk without protection? Does the probability of returning or risk of infecting a partner decrease wi the passage of symptom free years? I was thinking of this as a long term relationship but I am really concerned about getting HPV.

John says :

Mark, the risk will never be completely eliminated. However, if there are no symptoms after 6 months of treatment, it usually indicates that it’s not contagious. In your case it’s been 10 years, which increases the possibility that it’s no longer contagious.

Galega says :

There should not be any problem in the given situation. However, if you are planning to have long term relationship, convince her to get tested for any possibility of HPV. The possibility is quite low, though.

Traci says :

I was wondering if smoking herbal cigarettes is safe during pregnancy? It says they are nicotine and tobacco free, but contain tar. What are the risks, if there are any.

John says :

Traci, these are a safer option than regular cigrattes, but there is still the possibility that the smoke alone could have an affect on the baby, despite it not containing nicotine.

Galega says :

Whatever you are smoking, that is going to compromise the health of your baby. Even nicotine and tobacco free cigarette isn’t safe.

For the long term of health of your baby, you should consider quit smoking during the entire pregnancy.

Shirley Hardy says :

How quick should I see a Dr if there is blood in my urine

John says :

A small amount is not too significant, but if you notice large amounts, you should contact your Dr right away.

Galega says :

Blood in urine can be symptom of lots of stuffs. It is not a a normal thing.

Blood in stool can be a symptom of small problem, but blood in urine will always lead to some issues.

You should immediately contact a doctor and go for some diagnostic tests as advised by your doctor.

Mark S says :

Hi, I`m researching birth control pills for my wife. In university she was on Triphasil with little to no side effects. They seemed to work well for her. We`ve had 2 children and think that`s enough to keep us busy. Our youngest is now 3 yrs old. My wife tried to go back on the pill requesting Triphasil again but the doctor recommended ALESSE instead. It was a horrible experience for her . Severe mood swings, severe depression, weight gain, anxiety, etc. My wife stayed on ALESSE for 5 months to allow time for it to settle in or stabilize, but it only got worse. I`ve been researching Triphasil and found out a number of things it`s no longer available it`s a triphasic pill instead of the monophasic Alesse it`s progestin ingredient is levonorgestrel. I`m looking for a current triphasic pill that uses levonorgestrel as it`s progestin ingredient with an incrimental dose up to 0.1mg in the final phase, and the estrogen Ethinyl Estradiol starting around 20-25 micrograms in the first phase, and increasing to 30-35 micrograms by the peak of the second phase of the triphasic pill and going back down to 20-25 micrograms in the final stage. I find birth control research to be an extremely shady experience with lots of ambiguity and little help. Can you suggest 1 or 2 current pills that I can research that closely fit the above parameters? I tried consulting a physician but he didn`t take me serious, and it was a wasted 45 minute trip to the clinic. plus, in my opinion, pill-pushing doctors are more concerned with their wallet than the patient sitting across from them. They rarely allow you to explain before they`re interrupting and offering a pill to solve the problem. My wife is too nice and unwilling to stand up for herself when in a 1 on 1 conversation. I care for her well-being, and I would really like some advise on product suggestions so I can research before she agrees to another pill with horrible consequences. Your input is appreciated. Caring husband, Mark S.

Galega says :

I think monophasic combined form of contraceptive pills should be suitable for the needs of your wife. You should do research about this category of pills. Some of the brands are Althea and Trust. After researching about it, consult an OBGyne (not a physician) for further suggestion.

For long term contraception planning, you may consider other options like IUD devices.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34280559070331/k2311a0528/5.28.06