The Virginia Zoo, Norfolk, VA  » Travel  »
3500 Granby Street, Norfolk, Virginia
  • I love having the deer and goats eat out of your hands
  • I mean they have lots of interesting plants that are native to the regions that the animals are indigenous to and they have pretty gardens throughout the zoo everywhere you look

• by KeeperoftheChaos

I’ve been living in Virginia for five years now. I got the word that we were cleared to move to Florida next month and it suddenly occurred to me that we had never visited the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk even thought we’d been to Norfolk many many times since moving to Virginia back in 2003.

So although we had a million things to do before our move next month, I managed to talk my honey into a weekend excursion to Norfolk one last time before we moved. We have the use of a friend’s condo in Norfolk overlooking the water so I do love going there anyhow. I didn’t really need a reason, but the zoo seemed to me to be as good as

any!

We went on Friday night and went to bed fairly early so we could get up Saturday and go check out the infamous zoo. I had heard so many good things about it so I was pretty excited to be going that Saturday. I’m a bit like a little kid when it comes to animals of any sort. I just love them!

The day we picked to go couldn’t have been better. It was very comfortable, not too warm and not too cool. I wore my most comfortable sneakers and my favorite jeans, my hair pulled back with a baseball cap on to shade my face from the hot sun.

The Virginia Zoo has over 400 animals living there. We saw Elephants, Rhinoceros, Giraffes, Zebras, Lions,

• Turtles, Ostriches, Mandrills, Monkeys, Deer, Bongo, Armadillos, Meerkats, Camels, Buffalos, Eagles, Parrots and my favorite a Siberian Tiger! The zoo is fairly good size and there is a good deal of walking from place to place. You feel like you had a good workout when you leave there after hiking all day.

They also have a petting zoo with your usual farm animals where you can not only go inside and pet them, but you can also buy feed to feel them. I love having the deer and goats eat out of your hands.

Another thing about this zoo that is really different compared to many other zoos that I’ve gone to is that it’s actually pretty! I mean they have lots of interesting plants that

are native to the regions that the animals are indigenous to and they have pretty gardens throughout the zoo everywhere you look.

Lots of babies have been born at the zoo this year. There’s baby armadillos, a baby bongo (what a cutie!) and even lion cubs.

They have a restaurant there and a snack bar. We didn’t eat at the restaurant, but I did get popcorn that we ate as we walked around the zoo. They also have a gift shop with lots of educational things and zoo souvenirs.

The Virginia Zoo is open daily at 10:00 AM and closes at 5:00. It costs $7.00 for adults and $5.00 for kids ages 2-11. That’s not bad at all compared to most zoos I have been to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38502590551228/k2311a025/2.5.09