Yamaha P65MSB Keyboard
  • I think I got the best of both worlds with this particular model
  • You can set this keyboard to play accompaniment music while you play and the choice of instrument voices and the quality of the sound of them are just amazing
  • I know I paid quite a bit for this Keyboard at $650, but I do feel that it was definitely a worth while investment for the price

• by KeeperoftheChaos

I’ve always been an avid fan of music of all sorts. Mostly I’ve just listened to and played music as a part time DJ at weddings, parties and festivals. However it’s not all that surprising after being around it so long, the bug to actually perform it would bite me.

I recently purchased a Yamaha P65MSB 88Key Keyboard. I did a good deal of research before deciding on this particular model. I didn’t want to get a really cheap keyboard that I would grow tired of after a few months. Yet I didn’t really need something of a professional level either. I think I got the best of both worlds with this particular model.

It came with a stand and a bench which was nice to have it all arrive ready to set up and use. Assembly was a breeze and 20 minutes from it’s arrival, it was set up and I was practicing my skills on the nifty weighted graded hammer action keys that make this model unique.

Most keyboards have more of a soft touch when you play

the keys. This one was more like playing an actual piano because of the special attention they paid to the design of the keys. I had tried out several other models and brands of keyboards in the months prior to this purchase and they all had that portable keyboard sound to them. This one is about as close as you’re going to come to feeling and sounding like you’re playing a Baby Grand.

There is a quick start DVD that I actually didn’t watch until I’d owned it for two weeks. I guess you could say that I’m one of those people that prefers to just jump in without reading the instructions or owner’s manual. Once I did decide to watch it though, it really was rather helpful and showed me some things that I could do with this keyboard that I hadn’t yet discovered on my own.

You can set this keyboard to play accompaniment music while you play and the choice of instrument voices and the quality of the sound of them are just amazing. It’s almost impossible to sound ...

• bad with this keyboard.

Another feature that is nice is that it has two headphone jacks so that if I want to play and have someone else listen or if you are taking lessons, you can plug in one set for you and one for your friend or teacher as the case may be and not bother anyone else in the area who might not want to listen to your Concerto!

There are lots of little tweaks you can use to change up the sound. You have the ability to play in Dual mode which uses two different instrument voices. It has built in stereo speakers and the sound, I have to say is just amazing. I know I paid quite a bit for this Keyboard at $650, but I do feel that it was definitely a worth while investment for the price. There just is not comparison to other less expensive keyboards that don’t have the weighted graded hammer action keys. It really makes a huge difference in the Authenticity of the sound.

This instrument is fairly heavy at 72

pounds and it’s obviously well made. I was especially pleased with it’s stability. Usually when you have a keyboard on a stand, it tends to rock a little when played hard, but this unit seems to stay fairly still and I certainly never have the feeling that it may tip over that I’ve had using other keyboards.

Overall, I am really pleased with my purchase. I have it set up in my office at home and it’s off in a corner and really doesn’t take up that much space. It’s roughly 60 inches long and 15 inches wide. I think if you’re serious about playing, this is a worthwhile investment. I wouldn’t start with this one unless you know for sure that you’re going to stay with it. For kids, obviously, I’d just go with a less expensive portable until you see if they’re going to stay dedicated. For me, I knew that I would continue to play. I’d been tinkering on piano and keyboard since I was 7 so I felt pretty safe about spending this much on an instrument.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16402590241128/k2311a024/2.4.09