Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, FL  » Travel  »
  • One place that we've been to twice and enjoyed is Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL
  • You definitely need to have some interest in space exploration to find any of this appealing
  • They also have the IMAX presentations that are really interesting and run about 45 minutes a piece and well worth a watch
  • You'll have to leave Orlando and the mouse for a day, but I think you'll enjoy it

• by KeeperoftheChaos

I’ve gone to the state of Florida on vacation several times now over the years and we of course have had our share of Disney oriented vacations,but we’ve also checked out some of the other tourist attractions along both coasts of the state.

One place that we’ve been to twice and enjoyed is Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, FL. This one is probably my husband’s all time favorite Florida attraction. The first time we saw it wasn’t nearly as neat as the last time we went. Much had changed and they had added a good many exhibits and attractions to what he already considered to be a very cool place to visit.

Now I’m going to say first that this is probably not an attraction that has universal appeal. You definitely need to have some interest in space exploration to find any of this appealing. I really don’t think little kids get much out of it and older kids and adults with no interest in

space travel probably won’t either.

My husband is avidly interested in the Space Center and it’s space exploration and I’m moderately interested so for us it’s a good fit to go see now and then while visiting the sunshine state.

Probably the coolest part of Kennedy Space Center is the life sized replica of an actual space shuttle. They didn’t have this the first time we visited. Being to able to be up close to see exactly what a space shuttle looks like is pretty cool no matter who you are. If you’ve ever watched a shuttle launch even on TV, you have to have wondered what this thing looks like up close.

Outside they have a rocket garden with all sorts of retired rockets. This place makes for a nice photo opportunity. I can remember pictures my parents took of me and my siblings standing out next to the rockets. I’ve done the same to my family.

They also have the IMAX presentations that are really ...

• interesting and run about 45 minutes a piece and well worth a watch. The new Space Shuttle ride simulation is pretty cool too. If you tend to get motion sick, beware. It doesn’t really do much, it just feels like it does. Pretty much though if you keep still and look straight ahead, you’ll be fine.

They have an Astronaut museum with lots of interesting artifacts and information on display. They also have the Astronaut’s memorial which is a really somber memorial that was built to honor all the astronauts that have been lost in the space program.

If you take the tour, you get to take a ride out to the assembly building and also out to a point where you get pretty close to the actual launch pads.

They inject a little humor into your day with the “Mad Mission to Mars” show with a crazy professor and his sidekicks. I guess they are supposed to be a take off on R2D2 and that

other one of the star wars fame. Cute show though and worth a look see.

The gift shop here is super interesting and has lots of souvenirs as well as space program related items. I got a challenger commemorative coin there. My husband bought a shirt and a hat to add to his ongoing collection.

So to sum up, KSC is definitely worth a trip if you’re tired of the Disney zoo and if you have at least somewhat of an interest in the space program. It’s a little about the history of the space program, a little about now and a little about the hopeful future of the space program. It’ll run you about $30 give or take to get in but there really is a day’s worth of activities here to explore.

You’ll have to leave Orlando and the mouse for a day, but I think you’ll enjoy it. It’s about an hour’s ride from Orlando on the East Coast of Florida.

Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, FL

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38402590121128/k2311a024/2.4.09