Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV  » Electronics  »
  • This plasma HDTV has an anti-reflection screen which is wonderful for virtually eliminating any problem with glare
  • Another thing, the remote that comes with this set is one of the best I've ever seen

• by KeeperoftheChaos

My husband has been driving me crazy to get a new tv for quite awhile now. All his friends and my brother have all taken the plunge and gotten a flat screen, Plasma, HDTV. Sometimes I hate new technology because it always ends up costing us money! I kept saying, “There is nothing wrong with the TV we have!”

We have had the same 27″ regular TV for like 6 years now. I was hoping to just hang onto it until it died and then worry about new technology, but with my husband around, we always end up having discussions over why we need to keep up with everybody else and modernize and upgrade constantly!

So after looking around, we finally settled on a compromise. He had been looking at really huge flat screens and the price tags were nuts! I don’t care how good it is, I can’t see $2000 for a TV! We ended up going a bit smaller and knocking that price tag down to less than half of that!

We purchased a Panasonic Viera TH-42px80U Plasma HDTV. My husband was almost giddy when we got the call from the delivery driver that they were planning to arrive at our door the following day. I shook my head

and grinned and thought to myself boys with their toys!

When the truck arrived, they brought it in and had it up and running in just a few minutes. I have to tell you that although this was predominately my husband’s toy from his wish list, this really is a very sharp looking TV. It has a very sleek look to it and the picture is crystal clear. We set up HD and were truly blown away at the depth of color particularly on certain shows and networks.

I might add that this set required no tweaking at all. I’m talking right out of the box it had great color, deep blacks, vibrant reds, all very sharp and bright. Another nice thing is that even if we do set it a specific way to handle DVDs vs. Broadcast SD vs. HD, the set remembers our preferences. Very cool.

Not all channels are in HD yet but even those still in SD are much clearer and sharper. I really had no idea that it would be this different than our old TV and now I feel kind of foolish! The picture quality is almost surreal. Watching an interview with a celebrity, you almost felt like he was standing right ...

• there talking to you!

We have a Surround sound system, but we haven’t even bothered to hook it up to the Panasonic. The sound quality on this TV is unbelievably crisp and has wonderful depth to it. We may eventually bother to hook up the sound system anyway, but we’re in no rush since the sound is already great.

This plasma HDTV has an anti-reflection screen which is wonderful for virtually eliminating any problem with glare. One of the things that was of concern to us as well was burn in, but there is no problem with burn in at all.

Lots of people tried to convince us that we needed to get at least a 50″ and after getting the 42″ up and running, both of us have said we are so glad that we didn’t listen to anyone’s advice on that. The 42″ truly looks huge on the wall of our living room which is 14X18. I really don’t think I would’ve liked anything any bigger.

Another thing, the remote that comes with this set is one of the best I’ve ever seen. It’s a good size, it’s got good size buttons, clearly marked for easy reading and the same is true of the owner’s manual that

comes with this set. So many times, I’ve sat reading owner’s manuals wondering if the person that writes them is doing drugs or something or if they are even looking at the same item that I am. This owner’s manual is very clear and concise and there are plenty of pictures so you can’t mess it up if you tried.

One other great feature about this HDTV is that when one of us are laying on the sofa watching TV late at night, if we should fall asleep, which we often do, the set shuts itself off.

Also some people have spoken of a humming or buzzing sound with their Plasma TVs. We have had this for a couple months now and there is no problem with buzzing or humming even while changing channels or with the sound muted.

The price at just under $800 is a steal compared to many of the plasma HDTVs we looked at. We’ve always had great luck with Panasonic no matter what we’ve ever purchased from them and this was no different. We recommended this one to all of our friends and relatives and I can guarantee you that we will be repeat customers sooner rather than later. He’s talking about getting one for our bedroom now!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16402590021128/k2311a024/2.4.09