Chattanooga Zoo, Chattanooga, TN  » Travel  »
1101 McCallie Avenue, Chattanooga, TN
  • I love watching the Kinkajous and the Spider Monkeys

• by KeeperoftheChaos

On our latest trip to Texas on business, we traveled through Tennessee and I got to see a few of the area attractions including the Chattanooga Zoo. Now let me preface this review by saying that I have seen and continue to see a lot of zoos nationwide. My husband often travels for his job and we are blessed to be able to see the country inexpensively. I am used to seeing zoos of all sizes. The Chattanooga Zoo is small and as such the animals habitats are also small.

While I have been told that the zoo is undergoing some renovation, I was also told that the renovation is mostly for a bigger gift shop and a restaurant. I would be thrilled to hear that they are planning to expand the zoos animal exhibits and maybe give them some much needed updating and expansion.

We spent almost two hours at this zoo, but could’ve easily seen it in less. There are no major animals here. You won’t find Giraffes or Elephants. Mostly smaller animals like Monkeys and Kinkajous, Tamarins, lots of birds and reptiles as well.

They have the zoo divided into various sections. There is the Latin America area, Africa, Asia and North America. The zoo has a potential to be something special if they expand on this idea and make the habitats larger and add some additional animals.

The North America section has about what you’d expect, Whitetail Deer, Raccoons, Ducks, Owls Bobcats and Prairie Dogs

The Asia Section is home to the Red Pandas, Muntjac Deer, Myna, centipede and a Tibetan Gecko and an Elongated Tortoise. This is one of those areas that I would expect to see way more than what they have.

The Latin America ...

• section has Kinkajous, Tamarins, Spider Monkeys, a Jaguar, Macaws. I love watching the Kinkajous and the Spider Monkeys. These were both pretty active when we visited. I got lots of good pictures of them.

And the Africa Section is home to Servals and Hyenas, Chimpanzees and African Pygmy Goats, Crowned Crane, and African Tortoise.

Now in fairness to this Zoo, I do know that they are working on improving and adding to it as time goes on. From what I understand, it has already come a long way from what it was some years back. My concern however is that it won’t ever be able to fully see it’s potential if it remains located in Warner Park as it is now. There doesn’t appear to be much area to expand at it’s present location sadly.

It is very reasonable to visit the Zoo at

only $6 per person for ages over 16. Ages 3-15 are only $3 and under 3 get in free.

I’m not going to say that it isn’t worth a look. It is as long as you keep your expectations in order. It’s a small zoo and they don’t have a huge amount of room to work with or animals for that matter. I sometimes think that they’d do better to either concentrate on making the present space more appealing with the animals they have or to add a couple of animals that have more of a mass appeal.

I did see where they have added a Carousel since I was there recently and it is full of endangered species to ride instead of horses. I wish I had gotten to see that as I’m a huge fan of carousels.

Not sorry I went, but I’ve seen much better!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38402589951128/k2311a024/2.4.09