Rainforest Adventures Discovery Zoo, Sevierville, TN  » Travel  »
109 Nascar Dr, Sevierville, TN
  • We also enjoyed the new Aussie Walkabout which is an outdoor section of this Zoo which features lots of animals that are indigenous to Australia
  • We did have a good time though and I think it's a great place for a family to go of an afternoon

• by KeeperoftheChaos

In Sevierville, Tennessee, we took some local advice and decided to go spend an afternoon at the Rainforest Adventures Discovery Zoo. First off, we were pleasantly surprised at the price to get in. We had gotten a coupon from a coupon book that our motel had in it’s lobby. So we paid $9.99 each to get in.

This place isn’t huge, but it makes the most of the space it has. There are lots of exhibits and habitats and there are plenty of opportunities to pet and even feed some of the animals. A big part of the park is inside a building. They have recently expanded and added an outdoor section as well.

Highlights of our visit were petting and feeding the animals at the petting Zoo. We also

enjoyed the new Aussie Walkabout which is an outdoor section of this Zoo which features lots of animals that are indigenous to Australia. We saw Kangaroos, Wallabies, Australian Goats, lots of Aussie Sheep and lots of birds that are indigenous to the Australian Continent like Parrots, Australian Finches, Cockatoos and more.

They have an authentic Australian Sheep Station where you can go inside and pet and feed the cute little Aussie Sheep called Dorpers.

There is also a Pygmy Goat exhibit in the Aussie Walkabout that is pretty cool. You can visit the Pygmy Goats here on Uluru Goat Mountain. I always think that when I take pictures of these Pygmy Goats that they all have the same facial expression. They look at you as if to say, “Who me?”. Too cute for words!

There is a walk through bird aviary called Parakeet Paradise that has over 500 Australian birds. This place was pretty cool because some of the birds obviously thrive on attention and often talk or perform tricks to get you to look in their direction.

The staff that works at Rainforest Adventure Zoo are all very nice and informative and eager to answer any questions you may have. The habitats themselves are all highly detailed and carefully planned and as a result are really high quality exhibits. Sometimes when you’re looking into a habitat that is so real, you can actually forget for a moment that you’re looking at the animal in a zoo’s exhibit.

They have nice shows there with lots of different animals such as the Alligators,

• Rainforest Adventures Discovery Zoo, Sevierville, TN
      Porcupines, snakes and colorful and talented Cockatoos and Parrots. The show often interacts with members of the audience that are sitting down in front.

Among the 400 animals you’ll find at Rainforest Adventure Zoo are Red Kangaroos, African Servals, Lemurs, Kinkajous, Coatimundis, Sugar Gliders, Alligators, Hedgehogs, Lizards, Turtles, Frogs, Toads, Lizards, Scorpions, Tarantulas, and even Roaches!

The Rainforest Adventures Discovery Zoo also has a gift shop like any other zoo, but their’s is pretty! I mean it’s really a pretty and organized gift shop with all sorts of things in it. Educational toys and puzzles, Souvenir glass items, African arts and crafts, clothing, and lots of Zoo plush adorn the shelves and counters of the Amazon Traders Gift Shop. I got a couple of the plush items here and they weren’t that

expensive compared to most other zoos that I’ve visited.

The Rainforest Adventures Zoo also hosts birthday parties, family reunions and corporate functions as well. It’s also a popular school field trip destination.

This Zoo didn’t take the full afternoon so I wouldn’t plan on it for your whole day’s activities, but there are other things to do in the area and there is a Outlet shopping area right nearby. I guess it took us about two hours to fully see everything. We did have a good time though and I think it’s a great place for a family to go of an afternoon.

So the next time you’re visiting the Smoky Mountains or the Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg area, make a point of stopping at this unique little zoo of a day. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38402589941128/k2311a024/2.4.09