Little Rock Zoo, Little Rock, AR  » Travel  »
1 Jonesboro Drive, Little Rock, Arkansas
  • Some of the ones I enjoyed the most were the Elephants and the Giraffes
  • I love taking pictures of them especially if they come up close to you
  • I think they've got the most expressive faces
  • I was a little disappointed to see that they don't have a male and a female lion and the same with the elephants
  • I didn't time our visit right so we missed it but we've seen the alligator feeding show at other views and it's usually pretty interesting

• by KeeperoftheChaos

During a trip through the Southern States when we went to Mississippi to visit some friends who moved there, we spent some days going to local zoos. Animals are one of my passions in life so I try to go to as many zoos and animal related attractions as I can both at home and when traveling.

One zoo that we checked out was the Little Rock Zoo in Little Rock, Arkansas. While this zoo isn’t one of the high tech, super duper modern zoos, it does have it’s own charms. It’s a clean, well cared for zoo with a hometown charm to it.

The habitats are all nicely done and have little added extras that were included to make for a more natural setting for it’s inhabitants. They’ve added plants and gravel and other such natural landscape materials for the particular animal’s comfort.

They have a little over 700 animals at this zoo and you get an opportunity to see them all from a good close distance. Some of the ones I enjoyed the most were the Elephants and the Giraffes. I can’t even tell

you how many pictures I’ve got of Giraffes from zoos all over the country. I love taking pictures of them especially if they come up close to you. I think they’ve got the most expressive faces!

They have two female elephants whose names are Ellen and Mary. It was neat to watch them for awhile. They seem to be the best of friends. We talked with one of the zoo’s workers who was telling all about where they got the elephants and when and how the girls became fast friends. I was surprised to find out that they are both over 50 years old!

They have an Aviary that you can walk through and see all sorts of birds. I enjoyed this, but I got a bit nervous over a particularly intense Pelican who was staring me down and kept walking toward me! Thought that ran through my head was the newest horror movie title “When Pelicans attack”. I didn’t want to be the star of a movie such as that!

They have a couple lions at the Little Rock Zoo, but they are both females. I was a little ...

• disappointed to see that they don’t have a male and a female lion and the same with the elephants. I guess they don’t participate in the breeding programs that a lot of zoos do.

And what zoo would be complete without Monkeys and their relatives. The Little Rock Zoo has Orangutans, Chimpanzees, Spider Monkeys and Gorillas. I always enjoy spending some time watching the monkeys. They have so much personality. I wanted to take some pictures of this one chimpanzee that was making faces. I swear he knew I was trying to take his picture. The minute I’d put the camera up to take the picture, he’d stop what he was doing and just stare at me. I’d put the camera down and he’d start making the face again. We did this over and over and I finally gave up on getting that facial expression!

Besides the Aviary, in that same area is a Reptile house which has snakes, frogs, lizards, and alligators. They have an alligator feeding show there each day too. I didn’t time our visit right so we missed it but we’ve seen the alligator

feeding show at other views and it’s usually pretty interesting.

They have Red Pandas, Prairie dogs, Antelopes, Tigers, Rhinos, Camels, Gazelles, Flamingos and lots more that I can’t remember. All typical of what you’d find at any medium size zoo. They also have a petting zoo that the kids adore with Pygmy Goats and Deer that they can pet and feed.

The Zoo also has a train ride for the kids to enjoy and a playground area too. They have a Safari Cafe in case you want to get something to eat and they also have a cute Safari Gift Shop that has zoo related souvenirs and educational games and merchandise about the zoo.

It costs $8 for ages 13 and over to go and $6 for ages 1-12. That’s not a bad price at all for a zoo this size with this much to offer. It’s not the biggest and most exciting zoo that I’ve ever been to, but it’s certainly a nicely run, clean zoo with a lot to offer and makes for a fun way to spend an afternoon while in the Little Rock area.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38402589901128/k2311a024/2.4.09