Amazon’s Kindle Electronic Reader  » Electronics  »
  • First off, it's amazing that this thin little reader can hold a couple hundred titles right out of the box
  • This might seem minor, but much of my reading I do in bed in the evening and I don't like to have a major light on because my husband is often trying to sleep
  • The screen is easy to view and there is no glare like I thought there might be
  • So yeah, I think I'd have an issue with paying $9.95 per book
  • It's a very exciting and interesting concept and product, but it's got some room for improvement before I'll toss out my $350 for it

• by KeeperoftheChaos

I recently borrowed my best friend’s latest High Tech Device, the Amazon Kindle Electronic Reader. I have been aware of this item for a long time, but with a price of over $350, I wanted to be good and sure that it ws something that I was going to enjoy and really get use of.

So when my friend, Heather got one this past Summer for her birthday, I told her that when she found a week or so that I could borrow it to give it a test drive to let me know. She brought it over the first week of October and I used it for ten days.

This is my take on it both the good and the bad. First off, it’s amazing that this thin little reader can hold a couple hundred titles right out of the box. Add to that the fact that you can buy SD memory cards to enable it to hold an even bigger library.

In addition to books, you can also get top daily newspapers both domestic and international, subscribe to blogs, read some of the top magazines like Time and Forbes.

You

can also put your own word files, picture files and even mp3 files on the Kindle. However, the MP3 files end up being played randomly so make sure you don’t mind what you load. You can also go download audio books from Audible.com which is a nice feature.

Your Kindle downloads books from Amazon in a minute….seriously! Most titles are $9.95 and not all books are available for download. They also have a preview feature where you can download a sample of the book to see if you’ll like it before paying for the whole book.

You browse Amazon’s Kindle Books and all available content right on your Kindle via a wireless connection not unlike Cell phones use except it’s for free to connect, no contracts or per minute charges apply. You can do this from your bathroom, your bedroom, the Zoo, the Airport, the Tennis Court or anywhere you like.

The Kindle has a built in Dictionary which is a nice feature and also the ability to access Wikipedia, another really helpful and cool feature!

The battery life, I found to be decent. The only time it wore down noticeably faster, was if I spent ...

• great amounts of time browsing on Amazon at Kindle titles and content. Most of the time, it was fine to charge the Kindle every third day or maybe second if I used it a good deal.

What I don’t care for and I’m sure will be worked out in the next version is the placement of buttons. There is a page forward and page back button that I seemed to keep hitting by accident. I’m hoping that they maybe change the shape of it in some way that makes it more comfortable to hold, in a more natural way.

Another thing is that it doesn’t come with a book light that is made for it. This might seem minor, but much of my reading I do in bed in the evening and I don’t like to have a major light on because my husband is often trying to sleep. It doesn’t seem as though it would’ve been a huge deal to include a book light that was specifically designed for the Kindle.

The screen is easy to view and there is no glare like I thought there might be. One thing that I loved is

that you can adjust your font size so that I was able to enlarge the print making it much easier to read and therefore reducing the strain that I normally put on eyes reading a paperback.

The costs involved with purchasing Kindle format books is a bit more than I would want to spend. I’m the type that heads to the yard sales and thrift stores to get my paperbacks for fifty cents or less. So yeah, I think I’d have an issue with paying $9.95 per book. I also noticed that many books that I would’ve wanted to read were not in Kindle format. I suppose in time that may change, but for now, it makes the Kindle not worth my while as a purchase for the immediate future.

I think people that read an awful lot will appreciate the Kindle. I think people that travel a lot will like the Kindle. I think someone like me is going to wait and see what Kindle II or Kindle 2nd Generation comes up with.

It’s a very exciting and interesting concept and product, but it’s got some room for improvement before I’ll toss out my $350 for it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16402589881128/k2311a024/2.4.09