A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett  » Books  »
  • I think it's a kids' book because the jokes are a little more approachable and the subject matter is a bit cleaner
  • Several of the teens I work with have enjoyed this book

• by booklover

This book is the second book about Tiffany Aching. It is a continuation of the Wee Free Men, and a prequel to Wintersmith, although it is possible to read and enjoy any one of the three on its own. This book is one of the books that the publisher seems to have listed as ‘for kids’ but any age can enjoy it. I

think it’s a kids’ book because the jokes are a little more approachable and the subject matter is a bit cleaner. Several of the teens I work with have enjoyed this book.

I enjoyed this book, not as much as I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but more than, say Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett, which is similarly about a girl with magic (although in ...

• Equal Rites the girl becomes a wizard as opposed to becoming a witch). This book feels like the characters are more developed, and the ability to tell us what Tiffany, the protagonist, is thinking is useful. (Some of Pratchett’s other books have an omniscient narrator who only occasionally tells what any character is thinking whereas in A Hat Full of Sky much of
        the book is Tiffany’s thoughts). Actually, some of the book feels like it is happening in Tiffany’s head.

I thought the junior coven was funny. And I wish I knew what the Pig Trick was. There are many very clever little additions and word plays in the book, and yet overall, the story is clean and easy to follow. I would recommend this book.

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17402589191028/k2311a024/2.4.09