Victory  » Movies  »
0.5
  • When I first saw the title along with one of my favorite actors, I thought that it would be an adventure film with plenty of action
  • This movie is so slow and action free that I found myself slapping my face to keep awake during its way too long running time

• by Manolo

Victory with Willem Dafoe and Sam Neill. When I first saw the title along with one of my favorite actors, I thought that it would be an adventure film with plenty of action. Boy was I wrong.

This movie is so slow and action free that I found myself slapping my face to keep awake during its way too long running time. Dafoe does his best to save this debacle, but he does not have much to work with.

I also liked Sam

Neill in Jurassic Park, but, as a gay evil man, he was sorely miscast. The movie takes such a negative outlook on life that I wish I had the writer’s neck in my hands to show them their just deserts.

The movie takes place in 1913 on a sparsely populated island in the Pacific. Dafoe is a self imposed hermit who lives by his father’s words that, The world is a bad dog who will bite you if you give it a chance.

...

• He does have some reason to believe this description as the islands are run by European scum who treat women and non Europeans as slaves. An oppressed woman seduces Dafoe and convinces him to take her away to freedom on his island.

Of course, he does so and creates a vengeance that invades his isolated world. Neill is a corrupt gay adventurer that opposes our hero in a quest for a treasure that does not exist…or does it? The movie moves so slow that we

find our minds drifting off to possible scenarios.

I must admit that my ending would have been much better than what was delivered. The ending is so sad.

Why could it not have at least a happy ending? We never did get any answers to whether or not a treasure existed. I supposed the victory mentioned in the title was the one that the producer put over on the audience in getting us to watch the ending in hopes that it would save the movie.

It did not.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11402588780928/k2311a024/2.4.09