In the Time of the Butterflies  » Movies  »
  • Since I try to stay away from these movies, I was ready to pass on it until I noticed that Salma Hayek was a lead actress

• by Manolo

In the Time of the Butterflies with Salma Hayek and Edward James Olmos. The title offered me no clue as to the theme of the movie and in fact it seemed like a sensitive touchy feely movie. Since I try to stay away from these movies, I was ready to pass on it until I noticed that Salma Hayek was a lead actress.

I must admit that I find her one of the most beautiful women

in the world and eagerly accepted the opportunity to gaze upon this beauty if only as a spectator. The movie is based upon a true heroine in the Dominican Republic’s uprisal against President/Dictator Trujillo’s reign of terror than spanned from the 1930’s to the 60’s.

As Minerva Mirabal, she became known to her people as the butterfly. Now, I never really found out why she was called by this nickname, but I suppose the free as a butterfly connotation was a reason.

She was a daughter of a well to do Dominican family and had dreams of becoming a lawyer in a country that prohibited women from this career choice. When asked why, she did have some powerful words to say - There is no justice in the Dominican Republic, only battles to be fought.

I never knew much about Trujillo’s reign, but this movie was pretty explicit in its painting a ...

• In the Time of the Butterflies
      Hitler like resemblance of this man. He, like Hitler, wanted to purify the white blood of his country by eliminating the Haitian Black influence.

He was a womanizer of young girls who swooned at his power. I do not see this trait as a fault, but then I am not a woman.

I do feel that the depiction was heavily weighed against Trujillo. He did state many times that his purpose in life was to build

a strong country and he did.

Just look at the Dominican Republic’s neighbor on the island. Haiti is one of the poorest country’s in the world and there must be a sound reason for this difference.

They said in the movie that Trujillo used the power of Bread and Fear to rule the country. Since I am no expert on the subject, I am forced to believe what was presented in this movie.

I just wonder if it was 100% true.

ansin says :

did Trujillo do anything good for the Dominican republic during his rule?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11402588760928/k2311a024/2.4.09