Intel Pro WLAN built-in wireless card
  • I found out that the Intel WLAN utility of her wireless card is enabled
  • I thought it was all going to be fine but to my dismay, when we brought the laptop at Starbucks then tried the Internet

• by jesbellaine

Most of the wireless cards has its own utility especially if you are using lower versions of Windows because it is not like Windows XP that has its own wireless utility to use for connecting to wireless network. My friend has a new laptop computer which is still running in Windows XP computer. It has a built-in wireless card. At first, she was not able to connect to the wireless network because the wireless monitor from XP keeps on disabling itself which will turn off the signal.

I went to her place to check it. I found out that the Intel WLAN utility of her wireless card is enabled. And it needs to have a profile configured

in order for us to connect to the wireless signal properly. Since I can’t find the “disable” icon for the utility, we tried to configure it. I have to say, the Intel wireless LAN software is not easy to manage for new users. I mean, you have to browse each tab in order to configure the properties of her network. I have to manually create a profile then put her SSID and assign the encryption by going into different TAB in each window.

After doing that, we were able to connect to the wireless network and established an Internet connection. I thought it was all going to be fine but to my dismay, when we brought the ...

• laptop at Starbucks then tried the Internet. It is not finding it! I would have to pre-configure the software again. I was so disappointed so that’s the time I really browse each settings to turn off the program which I was able to find it. Once I turned off the program, the windows utility which is often known as “wireless connection” pops up and it was able to automatically browse for the networks that were available in our area. No sweat! We just connect to the signal that we want to connect to and we were back in business!

At her home, she could just browse her network and connect to it then input the encryption once. I

feel that the utility of Intel Pro wireless network is not that user friendly. Later did I know that I can click the site survey on that however, it really takes time to connect and configure it unlike the windows box, it automatically search the network then connect to it in just few seconds.

Their utility is only good for desktop computers because you don’t have to move it into another location and connect to other signal because it is only connected in your own wireless network at home so it is okay to configure it.

I give this 7 out of 10 since the software is really working but hard to manage or not easy to setup.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33402587780728/k2311a024/2.4.09