Pagsanjan Falls  » Travel  »
Brgy. Anglas, Cavinti, Laguna, Philippines
  • I am therefore proud of my colorful experiences in this place which I found worth sharing
  • As we traversed, I noticed large billboards along the way containing important information and warning about Pagsanjan which were informative enough to give me good idea how much a boat ride should cost us
  • I thought all along the ride would be just easy and relaxing
  • But I was happy there were pauses to the fearful moments because after each rapid I could breath normally again and get back into my senses in a calm water
  • But despite this shocking shooting the rapids experience, that visit was not the first and the last

• by ladyli

The fame of the picturesque Pagsanjan Falls located at the town of Pagsanjan, Province of Laguna has been for generations. I am therefore proud of my colorful experiences in this place which I found worth sharing.

The first time I went to Pagsanjan Falls, we did not book with any inn or resort as our trip was for one day only so we went there with practically no idea about what we would be going through. As we are not familiar with the place we just opted to commute our way. We took a provincial “Green Star” Bus that brought us to Sta. Cruz, Laguna from Buendia (now Gil Puyat). From Sta. Cruz, while waiting for a jeepney ride to Pagsanjan, a man offered us a tricycle ride to Pagsanjan for a fee of P40. As the man seemed trustworthy from his looks, we readily accepted his offer although taking a jeepney would be far cheaper at P7. As we traversed, I noticed large billboards along the way containing important information and warning about Pagsanjan which were informative enough to give me good idea how much a boat ride should cost us. As we reached the place that would take us to the Falls it was there that I discovered that the Pagsanjan Falls is actually not located in Pagsanjan. I read a big “WELCOME TO CAVINTI” sign on a big rock on the river. I asked the driver what that sign means and he told me that that we were no longer in Pagsanjan is actually Brgy. Anglas, Cavinti, Laguna, Philippines

As we reached that place the tricycle driver himself referred us to a

place where we rented a locker for P300 only that comes with free use of shower after our adventure to the Falls, then he also referred us to a boatman. Obviously, the tricycle driver was an agent and getting commission from his contacts for referring tourists. But all through the process, we still encountered several men one after the other offering boat services even while we were insisting we have negotiated already. The tricycle driver then warned us that there are notorious men who fool tourists with rates of boat ride. Somehow we really felt thankful to the tricycle driver for having made things easier for us at a fair deal.

So the time to start the trip to the Falls came. I so love the thrill of riding on a small boat or “banca”, but of course in peaceful water. I was excited to ride the boat which my husband rented for a fee of P650. We were 4 persons in that boat … my husband and me with two boatmen with paddles who jumped from rocks on the way to steer the boat. I thought all along the ride would be just easy and relaxing. But I was wrong. I never really knew I could really get frightened and weary that way.

On the way upward, I was first relaxed but excited but when the boat started pressing through huge boulders amidst very strong current going against our way, my heart started to pound. I was holding my husband’s hands so tightly and praying through and through. It made me really tired even if it was the two competent boatmen ...

• who were doing the paddling all along. I could not believe to see the boatmen despite my fear just so calm and uncaring as they cleverly skip from one side of the boat to the other running over huge rocks or on cliff walls. But they were unquestionably very swift in every move to guide the boat through the narrow passages of the ravine. But I was happy there were pauses to the fearful moments because after each rapid I could breath normally again and get back into my senses in a calm water. Otherwise, I’d perhaps just faint and get revived only after the entire boat ride. But it was worth all the frightening moments because the beautiful tropical greenery of wild orchids and trees on the high rock cliffs on the riversides were splendid. I was astounded as I realized I was surrounded by it. I could not believe I was able to witness this great handiwork of God on my naked eyes. Well, my eyes were fed and satisfied with the wonderful nature surrounding me.

When we reached the Falls in more than an hour I was all the more awed. It was a wonderful sight. The Falls I behold was really beautiful. The Pagsanjan falls is flourishing with crystal waters flowing down a very high rocky cliff in full grandeur. The base of the Falls was a huge swimming place where we had a grand time enjoying the water. Oh the water was really crystal clear and very refreshing. I could not stop splashing them on my face and arms and body. I thought that was more than enough for

me but I never knew that excitement did not end there. As I wanted a much closer experience, we took a bamboo raft which we paid for a fee of P20 so we could go under it. We were brought inside a cave and there had the chance to get soothed and rested by the music-like sound created by the echoes of the falling water. I would not know if I would cry or laugh because the wonderful feeling was really hard to explain. That was really unforgettable! I was fully relaxed and fulfilled before we decide to go back.

But wait, I thought I’ve had enough of frightening moments on the way up but I was wrong for when we traveled back on banca again I never knew the rapids down was far wilder than the rapids up. I almost got crazy and my throat was abused as I did not stop shouting and shouting through and through while my husband who was so thrilled could not help but laugh at me. We went and squeezed through the same narrow gaps again but in a far more accelerated speed. I really thought I could not come home alive!

But despite this shocking “shooting the rapids” experience, that visit was not the first and the last. It seems the Pagsanjan adventures have some magical hook that kept me longing to visit the place over again. I have so far visited the place for two times more since the first. Of course we already know how to deal with notorious people around and more than this, I already learned to fully enjoy and get thrilled by the rapids.

Pagsanjan Falls

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38202585560928/k2311a022/2.2.09