SlimFast Optima  » Health  »
  • Immediately after drinking our first cans, we noticed that we felt really full
  • We also definitely did not want any more food for a while
  • We haven't tried them yet, but I think they could be useful in their place
  • As a jumpstart, or for convenience, we thought it was helpful, but I would really hesitate to recommend going on SlimFast for the long term or exclusive use

• by InfoShorts

My daughter and I are always trying to lose that last 20 pounds (okay, more like 30 for me) so we fell for the Slimfast Optima ad that shows the slim gorgeous young woman kickboxing her cravings into submission. We went out and bought a couple of sixpacks of Optima on sale so we could try it.

For starters, at a dollar a can — on sale! — and a diet plan that suggests three cans a day plus two SlimFast snack bars between meals, we thought it was pretty expensive. We could be eating some pretty decent real food for that amount of money, especially after SlimFast went off sale and was back up to $1.50 a can. However, the simplicity really appealed to us. No decisions about what to eat, no temptation to go back for just one more bite — open the can, drink what’s inside, and that’s that til

the next time.

We read the ingredients on the side of the can and it did contain some fiber, chromium and magnesium — all stuff that should help fight cravings, so we decided to try it for a week. Immediately after drinking our first cans, we noticed that we felt really full. Almost too full, which was pretty impressive. We also definitely did not want any more food for a while. I began to feel hunger pangs again in two hours, my daughter in three hours, but I wouldn’t call them cravings. Just feeling hungry. That seemed pretty normal for the number of calories in the can. Depending on the flavor, it runs between 180 and 210 calories per serving.

The taste was pretty good for a “shake” that is concealing a bunch of vitamins and other ingredients, but not wonderful. We tried four flavors — Strawberry, French Vanilla, Dark ...

• Chocolate Royale, and Creamy Milk Chocolate. I wanted to try the Cappucino flavor, but all of the stores were out of it, so I used the French Vanilla in my coffee instead of creamer, and it was okay. We also tried freezing a couple of cans and pretending it was ice cream. It tasted about like a fudgesicle — almost chocolate but not exactly creamy decadence.

Over the course of the week, we lost about 5 pounds apiece, but we switched to real food after that. The Slimfast had gotten us started back into dieting and given us some encouraging results, but even with eating the recommended one real meal per day, we felt “sugared out” a lot of the time. The ingredients that fought the cravings were helpful, but the corn syrup in the formula triggers cravings. We decided it was better for us to plan six 200 calorie mini-meals

per day that avoided cravings in the first place. For example, for about the same calories you could have two eggs, a slice of high-fiber whole-grain toast, and a small piece of fruit and get some real nutrition instead of artificial vitamins in a sugar slurry. We also didn’t like using all those steel cans. Next time we would buy the powder and mix it with milk or soy milk except when we needed something for a meal on the road.

We noticed when we were buying the SlimFast Optima that there are a bunch of new SlimFast formulas out that I had never heard of, including a low-carb version and a high protein version. We haven’t tried them yet, but I think they could be useful in their place. As a jumpstart, or for convenience, we thought it was helpful, but I would really hesitate to recommend going on SlimFast for the long term or exclusive use.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 34202585460928/k2311a022/2.2.09