My Bloody Valentine 3D  » Movies  »
2.5
  • The biggest problem with this movie is the ending

• by David Finniss

I haven’t seen the original so I can’t compare. I will say that this movie is not particularly good.

Look, it is bad, but it’s the fun kind of bad. Seeing this movie in 3D, with a packed theater, you’ll get your money’s worth. Eyes come out at you, the pickaxe comes flying at you, and several scenes feature a character facing the camera holding a gun so that you look down the barrel. The 3D is pretty effective, the scenes where the crazy miner’s light shines outward, it actually seems like the light breaches

the screen and is scanning the theater.

The plot is your traditional slasher fare. A bunch of young attractive people find themselves threatened by a maniac with a sharp object (this one being a pickaxe). I read that in the original film, the miner never uses his pickaxe. The writers decided to go the other way and have him use it all of the time. I get this on one level, as why would he have the pickaxe if he never uses it? However, having him use it for every kill does get redundant.

• The cast is strong even though the writing is not. Oh it tries to make the characters deep. The two male leads have various issues that are by no means minor. Still, maybe it’s because I couldn’t relate to any of them, but it rang hollow. The women, while not deprived of screen time, don’t have much in the way of personality and Jensen Ackles is playing a very mild variation on his Dean Winchester character.

The biggest problem with this movie is the ending. It essentially pulls a bullcrap

retcon that basically tells you that everything you saw the first time around was a lie. I’m all for a plot twist in the third act but this was BS. In one aspect particularly. I don’t want to spoil it for me, but it infuriated me as well as both of my roommates.

The movie was garbage throughout, but it wasn’t condescending garbage (sans the ending, god that ending sucked!) If you catch the 3D matinee, it’s a good time but otherwise, this is a film that you’re better off passing on.

My Bloody Valentine 3D

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113101584421131/k2311a0131/1.31.09