The Sears Tower  » Travel  »
Chicago, Illinois
  • There is a long waiting time as tourists lined up to purchase the admission ticket which cost over ten bucks then
  • Thru the video I found out that The Sears Tower has 108 stories but there is still the main roof and the penthouse roof so all in all, there are really 110
  • All in all, I was a little bit disappointed
  • It is a unique experience indeed but once you have seen it and satisfied your curiosity, then that's it

• by lipsticknladdles

I went to visit my aunt in Chicago, Illinois for the first time two years ago. They toured me and my husband around downtown Chicago. They told us that the tour is never complete without going up The Sears Tower. It has been the tallest building in North America since 1973. So we will not let the day pass without saying that I have been on one of the tallest building in the world. From the ground, I was so I amazed when I looked up and see that it is almost as if its touching the clouds. The building is located at the heart of downtown Chicago at 233 Wacker Drive.

There is a long waiting time as tourists lined up to purchase the admission ticket which cost over ten bucks then. This facility

opens at 10 in the morning. It is expected to host approximately 10,000 visitors per day. Then after entry, you will be guided to an audio-video room that resembles a small theater where can watch a video presentation about the building’s history. It is so informative and you will learn a lot of things from it. Thru the video I found out that The Sears Tower has 108 stories but there is still the main roof and the penthouse roof so all in all, there are really 110. I also found out that The Sears Tower Skydeck observation deck opened on June 22, 1974 and is located on the 103rd floor of the tower. A second Skydeck on the 99th floor is used when the 103rd floor is closed. Then in February 1982,

• two television antennas were added to the structure, increasing its total height to 1,707 feet. However, in North America, CN Tower in Toronto, Canada has been the tallest still. Also, Burj Dubai, currently under construction in Dubai, is expected to claim all height records, surpassing the Sears Tower, Taipei 101 and the CN Tower, when it opens in 2009.

Then we had a very quick and smooth elevator ride that brought us to the 103rd floor’s Skydeck. On the Skydeck, I had a very beautiful view of the plains of Illinois, Lake Michigan, Indiana Wisconsin, Navy Pier, and the nearby and the almost equally tall John Hancock building.. The view on a very clear day is simply spectacular. We also roamed around the floor where we get to see the North, South, East

and West view. There is also a very clean restroom on that floor. We took our time and stayed as long as we want to. But there’s not much to do so 15-20 minutes is enough to enjoy it. Then the elevator took us back down where we get to drop by the souvenir shop.

All in all, I was a little bit disappointed. It is not really that impressive. It is a unique experience indeed but once you have seen it and satisfied your curiosity, then that’s it. It is not the type of place that you will want to go over and over again. Yet if you haven’t been there, it is still worth checking out. If you have tourist friends coming over to Chicago for the first time, then you can bring them there too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382701580460231/k2311a0127/1.27.09