Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition
  • As a clinical intern, I can say that DSM IV helped me recognize symptoms, understand mental disorders more thus on case conferences when Psychiatrist, Psychologist and other health care professionals talk I don't find their words jargon

• by lipsticknladdles

As an Occupational Therapy student, we were taught different subject matters. But all those that we learned were categorized into subject areas including Pediatrics, Physical Dysfunction and Psychiatry. And speaking of Psychiatry, DSM-IV had been a great part of my learning. DSM-IV or the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, a comprehensive literature review of research about mental disorders and includes associated features, culture, age, and gender features, prevalence, course, and familial pattern of

mental disorders. It is a paperback with 943 pages, published by American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.; 4th edition (June 2000). It is written in English.

I must say that it is clearly written and easy to understand. No wonder it has always been the choice of most mental health professionals or graduate students and there has been claims that this indeed is the bible of mental disorder diagnoses.

As a clinical intern, I can say that DSM IV helped me recognize symptoms, understand mental disorders more thus on case conferences when Psychiatrist, Psychologist and other health care professionals talk I don’t find their words jargon. The book has been my quick reference guide. It does not make a diagnostician out of me but it just made me get thru my medical training on the Psychiatric wards for months.

Practically, it had been helpful when one of our relatives displayed a number of symptoms. My DSM ...

• Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition
      came in handy as I checked on the list of symptoms for Major Depression. With all the symptoms present, we all have more reason to bring him to the hospital for proper diagnosis and treatment. ( Otherwise, everyone will just think that he is just plain sad) Again I must stress out that this book is just for research purposes for the lay people. It is not our tool to self-diagnosed, only licensed doctors diagnosed.

All

in all, DSM-IV can be an essential diagnostic tool up-to-date, to promote effective diagnosis, treatment, and quality of care. It can be used by professionals or students for the rightful purpose it may serve them. For me, DSM IV combined with practical training, a few other great Psychiatry books helped me understand conditions like Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, Personality Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorders and more. It helped me utilize additional information about the epidemiology and other facets of mental conditions

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172701579970131/k2311a0127/1.27.09