Anderson Japanese Gardens  » Travel  »
Rockford, Illinois
  • I would recommend people to go and visit Anderson Japanese Gardens

• by lipsticknladdles

For the past 2 weeks my husband had been busy with work so after the busy days, we usually desire a weekend getaway. I browse the internet and saw this Top 150 Great Places in Illinois as endorsed by the American Institute of Architects ( including the Fountain of Time, Pullman Historic District, Shrine of Our lady of the Snow, St. Peters Catholic Church and more). One of which is the Anderson Japanese Gardens. I checked out their website and found out that the garden is open all year round. In the photography in their website, it doesn’t seem to matter whether you go on winter, spring, summer or fall. The photos of the garden are equally beautiful all seasons. SO to satisfy curiosity, my husband and I went out on another trip last Friday. We drove 6 hours from Dearborn, Michigan to Rockford,

Illinois to see if the Anderson Japanese Garden is really as pretty as it claimed.

We arrived in the garden’s visitor center where we paid $7 each for admission fee. There you will also see the small souvenir shop that sells Japanese inspired items such as decors, cookbooks, tea and post cards. There is also the entrance to the garden’s restaurant. After paying, the friendly staff handed us our “tour guide booklet” and off we go to our self-guided tour.

I cannot help but to be amazed when I stepped into this Oasis. All the stress and tiredness from the 6 hour travel just melted. It seems hard to believe that a few miles away from the busy streets of downtown Chicago, a place as beautiful as Anderson Japanese Gardens. The gardens were established in 1978 by John R. Anderson and landscape architect Hoichi Kurisu. It ...

• is actually located in the Anderson’s residence (318 Spring Creek Road), that is why there are areas in the garden that says “Private Property” On a breezy fall afternoon, it is indeed so relaxing to take a walk and be in awe as you see several waterfalls and ponds, streams, rock formations, winding paths, and a sukiya style tea house and guest house. There is also the “Garden of Reflection” a contemporary Japanese-inspired garden, with bronze angel sculptures. There are 7 bridges (the main bridge, the stone bridge, the wooden bridge, the zigzag bridge, the earth bridge and the cypress bridge and the countryside bridge), a floating deck, a nice gazebo, patio & viewing spot and areas for conversation, meditation, resting and reading. The colorful fish, minks, and ducks as well as the trees and flowers make it even wonderful.The place is
        really a Japanese inspired paradise. After seeing and experiencing a walk in the garden, I no longer wonder why American Institute of Architects included this place as one of Illinois’ finest.

I had another great weekend seeing this new place and spending time with the person I loved the most. I wanted to go back and see the garden on Winter and on Summer. I am sure it will look beautiful with all the white powdery snow.

The only thing that I find negative on the garden is that being near service roads, the sound of vehicles driving by overpower the serene sound of flowing water. Other than that, I would say that this is no ordinary park, it is superb! It can be the most relaxing $7 you could ever pay for. It is totally worth it. I would recommend people to go and visit Anderson Japanese Gardens.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382701579940131/k2311a0127/1.27.09