Furikake, Japanese Rice Toppings
  • When my brother in law and his kids went for a vacation back to the Philippines from Japan, I notice that the kids are not eating much of the food being served on the table
  • It taste a bit salty and kinda sweet and is definitely flavorful, you don't need viands anymore
  • The only problem is that it can only be available in Oriental/Japanese Stores
  • But if you find it, I highly recommend you keep one in your pantry

• by lipsticknladdles

When my brother in law and his kids went for a vacation back to the Philippines from Japan, I notice that the kids are not eating much of the food being served on the table. Mostly are Filipino food like sinigang, tinola and sautéed vegetables. Instead, I saw them eating plain white rice and sprinkling something out of a packet over their rice.

My brother-in-law said that those rice toppings are called FURIKAKE. He said that most Japanese kids who

don’t eat much of the vegetables, get some vitamins from furikake.

The ones my niece and nephew were eating were made from freeze dried vegetables (carrots, celery, broccoli and sweet potato), ground and mixed with sesame seeds and nori. It resembles the texture of bird feeds, its only more colorful and looks more appetizing.

I tried tasting it and it was really good. I wouldn’t mind eating vegetables if they are served this way.

It made plain boring rice come to ...

• life! It taste a bit salty and kinda sweet and is definitely flavorful, you don’t need viands anymore. And since it is made from freeze dried vegetables, it is definitely healthy.

When my brother-in law went back to Japan, he sent us a package of this Furikake. E-price is the brand.

Each packet is good for a single serving of rice. There are many variants, vegetables, dried fish and egg.

There’s even a bolder mix of wasabi, nori and sesame seeds.

All are equally tasty and we love putting it in our rice.

Ever since, we always request him to include Furikake in his packages. This is one unique and smart way of making kids eat vegetables.

I am telling you, my niece & nephews love it so much and your kids will love it too! The only problem is that it can only be available in Oriental/Japanese Stores. But if you find it, I highly recommend you keep one in your pantry!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272701579581231/k2311a0127/1.27.09