The Spice Girls  » Music  »
  • I think it was them which started the trend of pop music around the late nineties, right after grunge and hip hop had eventually begun to die out

• by RedTape

The Spice Girls were one of my favorite popular music groups when I was younger. In fact, even though my best friend now seems to feel embarrassed about it, I can remember that we had our own mini Spice Girls group when we were eight and nine years old. We practiced dances and made plans for performances which we never actually did. I was Ginger Spice even though I actually wanted to be either Scary Spice or Baby Spice, and my best friend, the leader of our little group was Scary Spice.

The Spice Girls were a female group which emerged around 1996 in Britain and around the world. I think it was them which started the trend of pop music around the late nineties,

right after grunge and hip hop had eventually begun to die out.

The Spice Girls consisted of five members. These were Scary Spice (Melanie Janine Brown), Ginger Spice (Geri Halliwell), Sporty Spice (Melanie Jayne Chisholm), Posh Spice (Victoria Beckham nee Adams) and Baby Spice (Emma Bunton). Each of the members of the group dressed according to character and many times even acted according to character. I can remember that Scary Spice was supposed to be the bold one for example, with lots of energy and excitement. Ginger Spice was supposed to be the sexy one, Posh Spice, the chic one, Sporty Spice, was the tom boy and Baby Spice was the immature and innocent one. The Spice Girls were the era of ...

• “Girl Power” to little girls. They always spoke about it, and we believed it especially since many of us did not know anything about the different forms of female exploitation.

I can remember that some of my favorite Spice Girls songs were “Wannabe”, “Say You’ll be There”, “Spice Up Your Life” and “Too Much.” Those were songs that the Spice Girls fan group I was in rehearsed time after time again with dances. The Spice Girls even did a Pepsi advertisement called “Generation Next” which I would run to see each time it aired on television. Every girl had a Spice Girls sticker on their exercise books at school, and would buy the Spice Girls lollypops each day. Everything that involved the Spice Girls were

the biggest thing.

After a while though the Spice Girls broke up like many other pop sensations. Scary Spice and Posh Spice got pregnant and the rest of the girls were in and out of relationships and now had their own lives. I think that was about the time that I had begun to discover rock music.

Nevertheless, before there were people like Hannah Montana, girls had these five grown women to look up to. Listening to some Spice Girls songs right now I have begun to realize how cheesy they all were and how silly some of the things they did were as well. However, when they still existed I think they gave me and a few other girls some of the best years of our innocent lives.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142501578310631/k2311a0125/1.25.09