Frontline Plus Topical Flea and Tick Control  » Pets  »
  • Later, when I had children and kept having to use flea bombs in the house, I decided that the dogs get the fleas, the dogs have to take the risk
  • The main problem I've had is not having it work completely

• by InfoShorts

Frontline Plus kills fleas and ticks on dogs (and cats, in a different formulation.) You put it on once a month between your pet’s shoulder blades. Once it’s absorbed it doesn’t wash off, even if your dog goes swimming or has a bath. You use it year round in the South, but up here in the far north I put on one last round the month after killing frost, and call it good til spring. Frontline Plus is also supposed to contain a chemical which interrupts the flea life cycle so that you don’t get fleas in your house or reinfesting your pet.

I’m a no-chemicals all-natural type, so when Frontline first came out, I was very reluctant to use it. I hated to expose my dogs to anything chemical. Later, when I had children and kept having to use flea bombs in the house, I decided that the dogs get the fleas, the dogs have to take the risk. At that time I lived in the lower mid-Atlantic — hot, humid, and absolutely horrible

as far as getting fleas and ticks on your animals is concerned. I started out with a couple of the over-the-counter brands containing pyrethrins, which is as natural as you can get for flea control, but I finally gave up and went for the serious flea killers in Frontline.

You buy Frontline without a prescription from your vet, online, or at some pet supply stores. In comes in premeasured dosages for small, medium, large, and extra large dogs, and in one size for cats. Putting it on can be messy, and you really don’t want to get it on your hands, since it is absorbed through the skin. You need to get someone to hold the animal and part the hair over the shoulder blades so you can see bare skin. The little applicator usually seems to drip onto your fingers afterwards, so I wear plastic gloves.

I have never had any of my dogs or cats have any type of adverse reaction to Frontline. The trick with cats is to be sure you ...

• put it right between the shoulder blades where they can’t reach it to lick it.

The main problem I’ve had is not having it work completely. Usually it’s because I didn’t get all of the dosage right down onto the skin, especially if the animal is near the top weight for that particular dosage. If you find fleas on your pet even after using Frontline, you can’t use more FrontLine before 30 days are up, and you can’t use a flea shampoo, dip or spray containing any type of cholinesterase inhibitors, at risk of killing the animal. I usually just wait til the 30 days and try to be extra careful to get it all down to the skin the next time. If you really need to do something to get rid of fleas before the 30 days are up, you can use a pyrethrin-based dip or shampoo. Just double check the ingredients to be sure that it is safe to use with Frontline.

Frontline seems really expensive, because you have to buy a

three month supply at a time. The cat version is about $34.95 for three doses, and the dog version runs between $34.95 and $54.95, depending on the size of the dog. On the other hand, last summer when I didn’t want to spend that much and used a cheaper product instead, I got fleas in the house and spent over $120 on flea bombs. I also had to worm the dogs for tapeworms which are carried by fleas. All in all, Frontline would have been the more moneysaver.

I guess I’m rating this a little lower because of the messiness and human-error factors in applying it, and the possibility of someone killing their pet by either reapplying the product or using the wrong supplemental product. This isn’t the company’s fault, but it is a danger that exists when you use any hardcore chemical. The manufacturer has done everything they can, by putting the stuff into a snap-top applicator and providing good directions, but it’s still an imperfect solution and one that I would be nervous about recommending without these cautions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292501577940631/k2311a0125/1.25.09