Gentle Leader’s Easy Walk Harness
1.5
  • This training equipment, like specialized harnesses, head collars, and easy walk contraptions, assist owners and trainers in educating and rehabilitating a problem dog with greater ease than if they were just using a regular choke or buckle collar
  • I have always been pleased with Gentle Leader's other products, like their Gentle Leader Head Collar, so when I found out that one of my newest students, a massive 160-pound chocolate lab, was a very bad leash dragger I thought I would try this new harness on him
  • I don't think this is an awful product but it is not one at the top of my list

• by Lablover007

As a dog trainer I have pretty much tried all of the latest dog training tools that are on the market. This training equipment, like specialized harnesses, head collars, and easy walk contraptions, assist owners and trainers in educating and rehabilitating a problem dog with greater ease than if they were just using a regular choke or buckle collar. I have explored many of these different options out there for owners and trainers and learned that although not every collar or harness will work the same on every dog, there are some of these training tools that are much better than others. One newer product that I recently tried was the Easy Walk Harness made by Gentle Leader.

I have always been pleased with Gentle Leader’s other products, like their Gentle Leader Head Collar, so when I found out that one of my newest students, a massive 160-pound chocolate lab, was a very bad leash dragger I thought I would try this new harness on him. In the past I have used chain or nylon chokers, head collars, and slip leads when working with a dog who has a problem with pulling at the leash. I also like to

use treats with the vast majority of my client’s dogs, but for this big boy food was not an option at this time because he would become rowdy and inattentive around food.

We would work on his food and other behavioral issues in later sessions but the first thing I wanted to accomplish was being able to get him to walk politely on a leash for not only me, but his owner as well. This way my client could walk him daily and relieve him of all of his pent up energy, which she had been unable to do since she last tried to walk him in the neighborhood a year ago and was yanked to the ground and dragged. In my first session with Bosco I fitted the new harness on him.

This was fairly straightforward as far as I was concerned and it took me only a few minutes to get the buckles adjusted to get just the right fit, although for the average dog owner it could have been somewhat confusing and even frustrating at first. Once I knew the harness was the correct size I then secured it to Bosco and attached the leash. I went over the correct way ...

• to use the harness with my client and at the end of the session I had her take off and put back on the harness until she was comfortable with remembering how to use it at home.

Knowing how the harness worked it was easy for me to put it on Bosco correctly but my client, who had never even seen a picture of the harness, was a bit more flustered by which strap went where. Overall we were very successful with Bosco’s training and after a few sessions he now walks obediently on the leash for his owner and no longer pulls, even when he sees other dogs in his neighborhood, however I would not re-use this harness in the future for a few reasons. The first problem I noticed with this harness is that even when fitted and used correctly it still rubs on areas of the dog.

We never had the harness on Bosco other than for his walks and training sessions but even in that little amount of wear time the harness was able to begin rubbing raw patches near his armpits and caused Bosco to lose some hair. Also the harness would tighten in the

front but fail to loosen back up once Bosco stopped pulling. I very much dislike a training tool that continues to give a correction to the dog even once they have stopped the behavior.

With a choke chain, the chain loosens on the dog’s neck once the pulling on the leash has ended as long as the chain is put on and used correctly but even when this harness is used correctly it does not release the pressure on the front of the dog’s chest. This makes it difficult for the dog to decipher when it is being good, “not pulling” from when it is being bad, “pulling”. The harness does do what it promises by helping the owner or trainer gain more control over a large dog who is pulling at the leash, but there are other products out there that work just as well to stop pulling without confusing the training process or rubbing hair off of the dog.

I don’t think this is an awful product but it is not one at the top of my list. It’s really not worth what it costs and there are far better products already on the market.

Sharon says :

Recently, I was told about the Easy Walk Harness which was suggested as being good for a Golden Retriever. I just read your review in which you say that it worked but is not what you would use again. What would be your recommendation as being better than an Easy Walk Harness?

Lablover007 replies :

Personally I use nylon buckle collars for walks once a dog is trained but for a dog who is still in the training process I use Choke Chains or Head Collars. Head Collars are the best for large dogs or dogs the pull excesively. Choke Chains are great training tools but they can injure a dog if they are not used properly or if the dog is an excessive puller.

crystal says :

i found the premier harness that pulls from the front around the legs to be the most successful.

Su says :

Hi, i ve just read you review and wanted to ask you what better options do you recommend? My dog pulls a lot and he has short hair so he hurts himself (with normal harnesses). I bought the easy walk but i m afraid of hurting him more. He s 2 yrs old and i needed something that was maybe padded and safe for him to walk him without pulling and hurting himself. Could you please offer any suggestions? Thanks for the help, Su

Lablover007 replies :

Head collars (they work like horse halters to gain control of your dog) are my first choice for a difficult dog that pulls. They are the most humane way to teach a dog to walk nicely and help them from pulling. You can also do short (10-15 minute) training sessions with treats to teach your dog the heel command. I highly recommend this form of training. Just be sure to decide on a release word like “Okay” or “free” so that they can have free time to relive themselves on the walk. I have seen the no-pull harnesses work well too. (the ones that pull under the armpits) but rubbing can happen. As a trainer, I don’t like the harnesses that attach at the front of the chest because they can still pull. For your dog, go get him/her fitted for a Halti Collar and begin the training (it takes them a bit to get used to it on their face), then once they are fully trained you can transition your dog to a collar (I would recommend a martingale collar, because it is gentler on the neck than a chain collar, but it still tightens on the neck to give the dog a correction.

If you are still struggling, find a reputable trainer to assist you. Good luck

kathryn says :

After two weeks using this harness, patches of fur are rubbed off. We no longer use it

crystal says :

ive heard stories about that and have seen it first hand but only a minor case in one of my neighbors dogs. doesn’t seem worth it to hurt the dog like that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292301576961131/k2311a0123/1.23.09