Total Scales Techniques And Applications
2.0
  • This book has been featured in popular guitar magazines so I bought a copy
  • I was very disappointed with this book in many ways
  • The sound was not that good in my opinion

• by Brian

Total Scales: Techniques And Applications was written by Mark John Sternal and claims to be able to teach beginners through professional guitar players every note, scale, and position in every key on the freeboard.

This book has been featured in popular guitar magazines so I bought a copy. I was very disappointed with this book in many ways.

First of all the first section is quite good. It gives you many exercises and patterns you can play. It also teaches you guitar tricks like hammer-ons and pull-offs. There are a lot of exercises here.

Next we move into scales and this is where this book completely fails. It claims to

teach you every scale. this statement is in bold on the front cover. The first section on major scales and modes is quite good and goes though all keys. Next is the pentatonic, the scale every guitar player uses. This essential scale is only shown in the key of A so it is up to the player to figure it out in all the other keys. I don’t understand why this essential scale was not mapped out completely like the major scales were.

Where is the major pentatonic scale? This scale was mentioned in one small paragraph. Why was this essential scale not mapped out ...

• completely? The blues scale another essential scale was also left out and not written out in all keys.

The pentatonic, blues and major pentatonic are the scales uses most often by most guitarists. These scales should of been mapped out completely and explained fully. These scales are the basic keys to lead guitar playing.

Again the front of this book says every scale in every position in every key.

Next we go into the more advanced scales like Harmonic Minor, Gypsy, Hungarian and Melodic Minor. These scales are only written in the key of C. Is this every scale in every key? I would of expected to see

all scales mapped out in all keys and every position if this was stated on the front of this book.

The book also claims to help beginners. I play guitar and I don’t know many beginners that could make sense out of this book. It is clearly not for beginners.

If your going to write a scale book and claim on your front cover that you will master every scale in every key then these scales should be written out in every key in the book. I also found the CD that came with this book to be very poor. The sound was not that good in my opinion.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172301576721131/k2311a0123/1.23.09