As You Like It  » Theatre  »
Wilfrido Ma. Guerrero Theater, Palma Hall, UP Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  • One thing that I noticed was the play was quite long
  • I have enjoyed it and I'm sure, a lot of people who watched enjoyed it as well

• by shiobeh

“All the world’s a stage, and all men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.”

I have always heard this line. The line is, no doubt, a quite famous one. And I never knew it was one of William Shakespeare’s most famous lines until I saw the play As You Like It.

Offered by Dulaang UP at its 32nd theater season, As You Like It is a five-act pastoral comedy by William Shakespeare, written and performed about 1598-1600 and first published in the First Folio of 1623. It is mainly about the

conflict between two brothers, Orlando and Oliver and the ducal throne of Duke Frederick from his brother Duke Senior. And of course, there is also the love story between Orlando and Rosalind.

Personally, I have never really liked Shakespeare. He is, for me, a great playwright but I find his works hard to comprehend. This is mainly because of a.) the story itself which were absurd (for me at least I have never really liked literature, that is why) and b.) his way of writing, or more specifically, the language used in his works. So by the time I was about to watch the play, I don’t ...

• have any expectations at all.

We were kind of late so we were seated on the second front row on the left side. Again. I just hate it when the first people in line have the chance to choose where they want to seat. Anyway, the theater was again jampacked. A lot of people were there to see the play as well.

When the play started, it was also the time when we started laughing. The play was sooo funny and it really has a lot of humor in it. Everyone in the theater was laughing as well, even at the corniest punch lines. But then again, it was

really funny.

One thing that I noticed was the play was quite long. It lasted roughly about 3 hours and though the play was funny, I can say that the length had somehow made the people bored. I mean, I have seen quite a number of people yawning and some were even unconsciously closing their eyes. But when there’s some throwing of jokes, the sleepy people tend to be quite awake and laugh with it.

In general, the play is a good watch. I have enjoyed it and I’m sure, a lot of people who watched enjoyed it as well. It was light, funny and comical. A really good stress reliever.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 322001573100931/k2311a0120/1.20.09