National Geographic Magazine  » Media  »
  • One of the magazines I have always enjoyed reading is the National Geographic Magazine
  • I had the impression that like the magazine, there would be many interesting documentaries about cultures, nature and goings-on around the world
  • Amazon Forest to Farms is an issue of the National Geographic Magazine which focuses on a little more than wild animals and different cultures this time
  • I think the pictures of these birds are some of the most colorful and stunning in the entire magazine issue
  • I would recommend this issue of the magazine to be bought by all who are interested in gaining knowledge of the world around them

• by RedTape

One of the magazines I have always enjoyed reading is the “National Geographic Magazine”. In fact, I did not know there was also a National Geographic cable television channel until I received it from my cable company a few years ago. Thus I can say that it was the magazine which peaked my interest in the cable television channel a little after I received it. I had the impression that like the magazine, there would be many interesting documentaries about cultures, nature and goings-on around the world.

I, like many other National Geographic Magazine lovers have also always been interested in the pictures. I can remember that for a long time, even before I could understand what many of the articles were about, I was fascinated by the clear, beautiful glossy pictures in the

magazine which always seemed to be the most perfect shots I had ever seen.

“National Geographic Magazine: Amazon Forest to Farms” is an issue of the National Geographic Magazine which focuses on a little more than wild animals and different cultures this time. The main topic especially is about the deforestation of the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil. It is said that pictures sometimes are worth a thousand words, and this is evident in this particular topic as National Geographic photographers have taken heart wrenching pictures of the effects of the deforestation. One of them shows an Amerindian tribe of Manoki Indians who have migrated from their ancestral territory because of the effects of the deforestation. Another shows the farmlands and ranches that have been created on what was formerly parts of the rainforest. The article ...

• and a picture goes on to speak about the bloody war that has taken place to save the Amazon Rainforest.

Another of my favorite articles in this issue focuses on humpback whales. It shows pictures of them in the deep, gives explanations of their migration patterns as well as explains what a “song” is. I even gives the account of a person who has struggled for years to “crack the code” of a humpback song.

There are other articles in the magazine as well such as one about the well known city of Dubai and it’s origins. Before reading that magazine I did not know that the city was once a sleepy fishing village.

There is also an article about hummingbirds entitled “Flight of Fancy”. I think the pictures of these birds are some of

the most colorful and stunning in the entire magazine issue. The article speaks about their anatomy, mating patterns, where they are located and comments on them by hummingbird researchers.

The two remaining articles in the magazine are entitled “Artic Nightmare” and “A River’s Gifts”. The first one, “Artic Nightmare” tells the thrilling story of the life and death struggle of three adventurers who decided to take upon themselves the challenge of skiing to the North Pole in the dead of winter. The other article, however, is about a young eight year old boy whose discovery of fifty large and rare Celtic coins in a river which lead to another important scientific discovery.

I would recommend this issue of the magazine to be bought by all who are interested in gaining knowledge of the world around them.

National Geographic Magazine

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 391901572780931/k2311a0119/1.19.09