Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 2727 notebook
  • It worked, but I am still very disappointed as I later learned that this particular drive, made by TSST CORP is prone to this problem and no official fix has yet been issued by the company
  • If you can overlook the poor battery performance and find a way to get XP onto the machine then I would recommend the AMILO Li 2727 to anyone looking for a new notebook on a budget

• by EJ

I purchased the Li 2727 on sale at a local electronics store late last year. It came preloaded with the Windows Vista Home Basic OS and featured a 15 inch screen, DVD writer, 2GB RAM and a 120GB HDD.

First up, the notebook does not come with any backup/restore disks, as these have to be created manually by the owner after purchase and requires three blank DVD discs. I hate Windows Vista and so promptly set about replacing it with Windows XP but found that this was impossible due to XP not having the necessary drivers for the notebook. I checked various forums on the net
      and tried some of the solutions offered but sadly none worked so I resigned myself to the fact that I was stuck with Vista Home Basic. At one point the DVD drive stopped working completely, to the extent that it wasn’t even showing up on the device manager, as if it had been removed. Again I checked the forums and found a fix that requires the computers registry to be altered. It worked, but I am still very disappointed as I later learned that this particular drive, made by TSST CORP is prone to this problem and no official fix has yet been issued by the ...

• company.

Software glitches aside, the hardware runs pretty well for an entry to mid-level notebook. The screen is clear and bright, and though the machine runs pretty hot sometimes, it never dampens the performance. The main complaint with regard to hardware is the battery that gives the user a paltry 1 ½ to 2 hours of battery life on ‘High Performance’ or about 2 ½ to 3 hours on ‘Power Saver’ modes. It’s okay for working with documents or email but if you’re watching videos, listening to music or browsing the web, you’ll be running for a power outlet sooner than you think. WLAN is reliable enough but is also a battery drainer so be careful. It’s highly disappointing when you purchase a notebook, which is supposed to give you computing mobility, but instead find yourself stuck at a desk with the machine tethered to a power outlet.

If you can overlook the poor battery performance and find a way to get XP onto the machine then I would recommend the AMILO Li 2727 to anyone looking for a new notebook on a budget. It’s a solid, sturdy machine with good hardware performance in terms of price and I’m sure most of the software glitches could be fixed by installing XP as the operating system.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 631901572690931/k2311a0119/1.19.09