DOBA  » Business  »
1.0
www.doba.com
  • I'll skip the obvious problem of you having no online marketing experience and just focus on what you are already looking at - Drop Ship Directories
  • There are a lot of products, but unfortunately not enough to adapt to your ideas
  • This day-in-age, unless you carry some big name clout, you are going to need to go after a niche market (and no, saying I know, I'll only carry electronics
  • I found in the home & garden section a ceramic space heater for $50.16 wholesale
  • Not sure whether or not the person I bought the camera from was able to quit his/her job and move to the Bahamas, but he/she probably made a few bucks

• by mhaley

So, at some point you’re going to think to yourself “Hey, I bet I could start my own online business too.” Let’s face it, you can start you own hosted storefront for almost nothing. So why not?

“But wait,” you’ll soon say to yourself, “What am I going to sell? I don’t have the money to buy a bunch of merchandise.”

And then you’ll be introduced to drop shipping. You’ll be seduced by the fact that all you have to do is put an image an some information of a product up, and then when a customer orders something all you have to do is place the order w/ a drop shipper, never touch the product, and you’ve made a bit of money.

Sounds great! Easy money. Right?

I’ll skip the obvious problem of you having no online marketing experience and just focus on what you are already looking at - Drop Ship Directories. Are they all they’re cracked up to be?

Well, fortunately you can find out for yourself. I recently signed up for a trial for one of the larger, more recognized directories called DOBA. More of them are offering a free-trial, so if you want to see it for yourself, go ahead. But I’ll try to

save you some time here.

There are some obvious problems to selling the exact same thing that anyone willing to shell out a few hundred dollars a year can sell, but we’ll skip that part and move to the goods themselves.

The first thing is this - beggars can’t be choosers. If you had a really good idea for a niche market that you just need to find the right products for, well drop the idea.

There are a lot of products, but unfortunately not enough to adapt to your ideas. You’re going to have to work the other way around and come up w/ an idea to fit the available products. I didn’t see a good one, but maybe enough time and effort and you’ll spot it.

The more likely scenario is that you just want to have a store up and running so you start loading a hoge poge of products on a site and hope people show up to buy. Good luck with that. This day-in-age, unless you carry some big name clout, you are going to need to go after a niche market (and no, saying “I know, I’ll only carry electronics!” does not count as finding a niche market).

But let’s say another ...

• hoge poge store is just what the world’s been waiting for (although hogepoge.com is already taken - sorry). The next question is, are these drop shippers really cutting you in on a deal?

Well, let’s take a direct example from DOBA. I found in the home & garden section a ceramic space heater for $50.16 “wholesale.” I’ll leave the brand and supplier off just in case it would get me into trouble.

Now if you don’t have a business degree, that means you would need to sell that heater more than $50.16. Let’s say you sell it for $51.16, leaving you with $1.00 profit. Well worth your time. You’re not even cutting yourself in for a 1% margin, so at that price people would jump at the opportunity to buy it, right?

Well, let’s just say for the sake of argument that your customer just does a quick shop comparison. I know the internet is not a place where shoppers go to make a more informed decision, but let’s just pretend for the sake of argument that a shopper would go to at least one other website besides yours.

So what were some major retailers selling your item for? 3 separate retailers (I’ll exclude the names,

but you probably shop at them every other day) were selling them for $49.99. That’s right, they were selling the same heater at retail for $0.17 less than your super-exclusive “wholesale” price. You probably could have made just as much money going to your favorite neighborhood retailer, buying it there, and then shipping it to your customer.

So is it completely worthless. I think so. But there’s a sucker born every minute, and most of them shop on Ebay. I’ve been one those people. I once bought an off-brand digital camera for $50 because the clock was running out and it sounded like good deal. Little did I know that I could have gotten that camera for $30 any day of the week. But you live and learn.

Point is, most drop ship directories have some direct capabilities w/ Ebay so that the products you choose are uploaded automatically. So, if all you want to accomplish is duping uninformed customers on Ebay, then it may work. Not sure whether or not the person I bought the camera from was able to quit his/her job and move to the Bahamas, but he/she probably made a few bucks.

My advice for any drop-ship directory - TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 411901572060831/k2311a0119/1.19.09