St. Hugh’s High School for Girls  » Education  »
2.0
Kingston, Jamaica
  • Generally I found that Anglican priests visited there each week, and unlike in my old high school, instead of having a guidance councilor like what I was used to, I found they had a chaplain
  • However, since I would only be there for what I thought was at the time two years, I reasoned that I should try to ignore them, and instead focus on my academics
  • Unfortunately, the school is located near a chicken factory, which has promised to relocate elsewhere several times, however, I came to understand that they had been making promises such as these for many years, and never did
  • Another problem I have had with the school is the lack of proper drinking water facilities for the students around the school
  • I would not recommend students from other schools to transfer or attend this high school

• by RedTape

I attended sixth form at St. Hugh’s High School for Girls for approximately three years. As the name suggests it is a relgious high school, which only girls can attend. Generally I found that Anglican priests visited there each week, and unlike in my old high school, instead of having a guidance councilor like what I was used to, I found they had a chaplain. I am not a religious person, thus at times I was bothered by some rituals and aspects of the culture of the school. However, since I would only be there for what I thought was at the time two years, I reasoned that I should try to ignore them, and instead focus on my academics. Nevertheless, no matter how I tried to ignore certain issues, there were always still a few which bothered me regardless.

One of these things was a stench. Unfortunately, the

school is located near a chicken factory, which has promised to relocate elsewhere several times, however, I came to understand that they had been making promises such as these for many years, and never did. Thus every student who attends the school will find that they have to get used to a stench which usually drifts to the school from the chicken factory. Many people do not know what exactly causes the stench from the chicken factory, however, I am assuming that it is chicken waste.

Another problem I have had with the school is the lack of proper drinking water facilities for the students around the school. In my previous school which was not very large, there were at least two working water coolers available each time on both of the campuses. However, to my horror, I found that students attending St. Hugh’s High School usually drank from ...

• what I thought were very old, dirty water fountains. During the period of time I attended the school, I found myself going to student councilors about the issue, and once the principal. However, nothing was ever done.

The third problem which haunted me all three years was the behavior and mindset of most of the students who attended the school. First of all, in my first year I noticed many of them tended to be a bit superstitious, as many of them avoided me because I bought a school bag with a skull and vines pattern on it from hot topic. It struck me as odd too, since at my previous school a few people had bags with similar patterns and no one seemed to have much of a problem with it. I was also avoided because of my preference for hard rock music and some types of heavy

metal music. On the other hand though, at my previous school, there were many students who would listen to music like that.

In addition, that at St. Hugh’s High School most of the children were very unruly and the principal and staff did not employ much disciplinary measures, thus, the sixth formers at the school ended up taking charge many of the times. We were left to deal with students who had severe behavioral problems many of the times too, who the school administration refused to suspend or expel.

I would not recommend students from other schools to transfer or attend this high school. Discipline at the school was obviously a severe problem, and my peers and I had to take the place of the staff and principal many times. There are also very few good teachers left there also, as many have resigned and taken job positions in better schools.

quick note by anonymous :

first of all i totally disagree with this , one the school might not be as prim and proper as every other school, but it is worth going to, the school does consist of guidance councilors, maybe if you had taken the time to find out more about the school instead of being quick to judge it you would’ve known this.
    secondly the chicken factory does not affect the students in anyway possible, because after a week or two it scent is not even evident,the school does have proper drinking facilities and they might be old but at least they are cleaned everyday and the students have no problem drinking from them so why did you?,maybe you felt as if`judged’ because you wanted to fit in with a specific crowd that did not accept your lifestyle.
    lastly to address the sixth former’s being responsible for the students, i am 100% sure that at other high school in Jamaica Wolmers High School for Girls the six former’s help or have a role in the discipline of the students and I am sure that they’re not complaining, the school may not be that quick to expel and/or suspense their students because the acts committed may have been minor, and I sure that the institution is a well rounded one and is living up the standard of “We build our name and spread our fame and honor good St Hugh” and with saying this I am a honored to be a called a swan.

Tamarly says :

St Hugh’s is the best high school do stop criticizing because u didn’t like your experience others enjoy the many great things the school offered to them and still have to offer to others

Unknown says :

What I would really love to know is why are you such a low life person that even after leaving the school you conjure up lies to give the school bad name Apparently you have way too much free time well you better back off. Not because no one liked you or no one spoke to you means that’s the school’s fault. Ever thought something may be wrong with you as a sad sad person?? Back off Hugh’s cause you know nothing about the school.

shani says :

when is the application for 6th form be issued out

Redtape replies :

Maybe a little after CSEC results are out, which would be about July or August I think? I really don`t remember. You need to call the school and ask them. I left sixth form quite a long time ago.

Accw says :

what is your point?

Jules Li says :

This is a full review with several points listed. If you have a question about a particular aspect you should be more specific.

redtape replies :

Once again thanks a million Jules

Gabryelle says :

re : Generally I found that Anglican priests visited there each week, and unlike in my old high school, instead of having a guidance councilor like what I was used to, I found they had a chaplain
    St Hughs high has Two Guidance Counsellors. They were located on the same building as the nurse but have recently been moved to the sixth form block.

Sherona says :

The school has THREE guidance counselors as well as a chaplain, so check your facts before posting things online.

Ann LeFlore says :

It appears that this young lady was not happy with the school. She has her own personal views about the school and they just don’t fit with everyone else. It is unfortunate that this review had to be written and you ended up reading it. Maybe some of the facts inside of here are false and not accurate. However, this is how she saw it and this is how she decided to talk about it. Maybe online isn’t the perfect place to do this review, but it is here now. So all you can do is, correct these errors and show proof that what she is saying is incorrect.

-13
    Unknown says :

My girl, why did you even enroll into this institution. This review seems like you are just a sad human being. Don’t go around talking trash about the school just because no one seemed to like you.Fix up yuh life man, dirty girl.

Anonymous says :

You really should

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501801571150931/k2311a0118/1.18.09