Super Wal-Mart Great Value Butter  » Food  »
  • I don't like all of the Great Value products, but many I do
  • I decided to try their Great Value butter
  • The first thing I noticed about the butter was the shape
  • I don't think there is a significant difference in taste to warrant paying the higher price

• by MaggieC

Since shopping at our new Super-Wal-Mart I have been trying out their generic brand of products, called “Great Value”. I’ve found great grocery savings at Super-Wal-Mart, and if I can substitute a product I usually buy with one of their Great Value products, the savings is even greater.

I don’t like all of the Great Value products, but many I

do.

I decided to try their Great Value butter.

The price of the generic Great Value butter was sometimes half of what I would pay in the other grocery stores for a name brand.

Typically, I save one or two dollars per pound of butter.

Even when the other stores run a sale, I find the generic ...

• Great Value butter is a little cheaper.

The first thing I noticed about the butter was the shape.

Each pound has four cubes of butter, but they are long and skinny.

They don’t fit well into the butter dish I normally use, but it was no big deal.

If you taste the butter without anything else, there is a

slight difference between the Great Value and the higher quality butter.

But, once the butter is used on toast or in cooking, it is hard to tell the difference.

I don’t think there is a significant difference in taste to warrant paying the higher price.

But, if I was serving lobster, I would splurge and buy the higher priced butter for dipping!

Darryl says :

I agree. There is something DEFINITELY WRONG with this Butter. I made chocolate chipped cookies and they came out terrible They came out flat and some were hollow which I`ve never seen before and when you put the buttons on the cookie sheet, all this liquid runs out of the button . I added more flour to try to improve the consistency, but they still came out cracked and hollow. Is this stuff made in China, too? The FDA should look into this Product.

Mary says :

I was making chocolate oatmeal cookies for tomorrow with a recipe I use ALL THE TIME. I was out of butter so ran down to Walmart and got the Sweet Cream Butter - Salted Great Value brand. Made the cookies like I always do and they sort of liquified on the cookie dish and my cookies spread out all over and baked up crisp. They look AWEFUL and I can`t use them although taste ok . The only difference is the change in butter.

Tammie says :

I just spent the afternoon making a variety of flavors of buttertarts using the Great Value butter (salted). My day was wasted. The tops of the tarts look like I poured oil on them This butter is awful

ReadingBug says :

I have discovered from many cookie baking accidents that when cookies melt on a baking sheet it’s probably because the butter was too warm. Having warm butter in cookie dough doesn’t allow the cookies to bake evenly, thus leaving you with either liquid or flat cookies. I have used Wal-mart’s brand of butter in baking without any issues.

Ashleigh says :

How much does it cost? Im doing a project at school on how uch it costs to make your own food versus buying it premade. Im demonstrating how to make homemade peanut butter cups and I can`t find the prices for the ingredients online anywhere.

G M Burton says :

Prices for butter vary. Walmarts brand will cost on average about $ 2.50, while Land of Lakes, which most cooks will agree is the best quality, will average about $ 3.75. Buying and storing items, like butter, that go on sell around holidays can greatly lower the price of your project. To best judge your expense, you would need to go shopping.

Jennifer Davis says :

Hi Ashleigh, it sounds like a fun project. This particular butter costs about $ 1.89 at my Wal-Mart for a box of 4 sticks. This means that each stick will cost you about $ .48 per stick. Additionally, you will want to consider in your calculations that making food at home often gives a bigger yield so although the ingredients may cost more to purchase, in the end it will be cheaper because you get more servings than in most premade food packages.

Ana DIlan says :

It costs around $ 2.5. In general, from my own experience, making your own food costs less than buying it premade.

Lynda says :

I agree. There is something terribly wrong with the great value butter from Walmart. I really don`t believe the butter is meant for baking. I usually use Land O Lakes butter but decided to try Great Value because it was on sale for 1.50 at Walmart during the holidays. I baked several Yellow Butter Cakes using Great Value Butter and each cake came out very dry. I started reading blogs on how to get moister cakes by adding sour cream, mayo, applesauce, and pudding but the cakes were still not up to par. I thought I was doing something wrong in my baking techniques until I read a blog about how Walmart`s Great Value Butter affected someones cookies that were baked using this butter. To make sure that I had not forgotten how to bake homemade cakes, I went out and bought my Land O Lakes butter and my cakes came out moist and delicious without the need for sour cream, mayo, applesauce, and pudding.

Mike says :

Walmarts Great Value butter nearly made me puke.. I always buy lower price butter from Save aLot, Food Lion , etc..and it tastes as good as the higher priced Land o lakes…which I like the most. ….BUT…. my wife brought home not one but TWO 4-stick packs of Great Value butter. And instantly I noticed there was a horrible chemical `rice` kid of taste and left a really bad after taste. I plan to take them back to WM so it will be `on record` here locally. To save money is one thing…but why are these other suppliers able to provide the good tasting butter at same or lower price than this really crappy tasting butter sold at WalMart?? Corporate profits more important?? I know milk also has the same problems… but here in the South, we have Mayfields (better) and Weigels (best) and I always buy whole milk I got to where the 2% tasted weak or bad …but rarely find that problem in the milk mentioned in my post

Charles says :

There is something wrong with Great Value butter. It ruined a dish my wife made. I did not realize it was the butter until I used it on my pasta and that horrible taste really came out again. WHAT IS IN THIS STUFF? I am considering having it analyzed. It does make you wANT TO PUKE.

Joanna says :

I think that the great value butter is more for cooking with as it contains both cream and oil. For eating on pastas and baking cookies, I try to use Blue Bonnet margarine. It tastes a lot better and seems to react better in baking.

Walter says :

I also tasted this butter . If you look at the ingredients, it has cream (milk) and natural flavorings. Because the cream is the first listed, it is the main ingredient.
    Here is what the FDA lists as natural flavorings
    The definition of natural flavor under the Code of Federal Regulations is the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional (21CFR101.22)

Yes, you save on money, but what am I actually eating with walmart great value butter?

quick note by anonymous :

There is a definite difference between WM butter and Land O’ Lakes. The WM butter always tastes chemically and spoiled. I would NEVER eat this stuff willingly

frenswa says :

re : I decided to try their Great Value butter
    listen here all you great value haters they have the best fruit loops on the planet so dont be hating on them i love the owner of great value he is going to be the love of my life asuming he is still alive. please keep your hate commments to yourself snitches you know you love me XOXOX -gossip girl

Tomeka says :

Great value is not so bad. I’ve actually tried a couple of their products and i have no complaints. However Great Value still does not out beat Land-o-lakes.

cathy says :

I love the great value margarine. It makes the best cookies we stocked up on it last year and put it in the freezer. Well I used ito all up now I’m out where can I buy more? My brother in Arlington Texas was the only place to get it now they can’t find it why?? I want to know why walmart in the Houston area aRea are not carrying it anymore. LoOKs like only San Antonio

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271801570971231/k2311a0118/1.18.09