Batman Cacophony 1  » Books  »
  • Given how much I enjoyed that arc I looked forward to reading this
  • I know other writers have played with the idea that Joker is gay, but having him drop his pants and bend over is pushing it a bit
  • In this issue he has little more than a cameo

• by David Finniss

Most of my knowledge of Kevin Smith comes from his movies. I knew he had worked on comics but until I read Daredevil: Guardian Devil, I had yet to read any of his work. Given how much I enjoyed that arc I looked forward to reading this.

In short, this comic is freaking awesome. The conversation between Deadshot and Joker was almost perfect. There were times when Smith tries to shoehorn in his trademark filth humor, it works at points but other times it seems like he’s trying too

hard. I know other writers have played with the idea that Joker is gay, but having him drop his pants and bend over is pushing it a bit.

I was worried when it seemed like a certain character got shot in the face. He was always below the mainstream’s radar but he was consistently entertaining. I should’ve known that Smith wouldn’t kill him off. Still, seeing him come back was rather glorious. I should’ve known better than to doubt his abilities.

The main focus of this arc ...

• is the return of an obscure villain called Onomatopoeia. In this issue he has little more than a cameo. While his gimmick seems silly, it is pretty effective.

The dialogue is hit or miss. As I said before, Joker’s dialogue is at times brilliant and at other times, too much. The same goes for Batman. Having him tell Zsasz to “get the hell out of here” seems like it’s trying too hard to be hardcore. It’s balanced by him comforting the children of some recently

murdered parents after the psychopath is caught.

One plus of the comic is that the art is done by Walt Flanagan. I hadn’t seen his artwork but I knew him from Smith’s movies. It’s pretty solid throughout.

This issue focused more on Joker than it did Batman. Hopefully the last two issues give Batman an actual arc as opposed to just following the villains’ trail.

Overall, it’s a promising start to this mini arc. It’s good to see Kevin Smith return to comic work. Hopefully he sticks around.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171601570290931/k2311a0116/1.16.09