Sony Headphones MDR-V150  » Electronics  »
  • I bought these headphones at a local Walmart for $19.99
  • A little more expensive than the ones I was replacing (an old Koss pair), but they're Sony, and I've always had good experience with Sony
  • They handle bass very well, in my opinion, when my JBL speakers tend to distort it a little
  • In regards to volume, these things can tolerate a respectable volume definitely
  • Aside from the cord twisting itself sometimes, I've noticed no problems with them

• by Fuzzy Lawliet

I bought these headphones at a local Walmart for $19.99. A little more expensive than the ones I was replacing (an old Koss pair), but they’re Sony, and I’ve always had good experience with Sony.

They are the over the ear kind, with pillowing (feels like really thin, soft leather) to cut back on outside noise.

Compared to my old pair, they aren’t as big, and the cushioning isn’t as ‘cushie’. But after wearing them, I got used to them in no time.

For $20, I doubt these headphones will impress an audiophile. But for me, they sound just fine. They

handle bass very well, in my opinion, when my JBL speakers tend to distort it a little. Nice and deep, with no crackling. The highs can be a little shrill at times, but really only at extreme volumes.

In regards to volume, these things can tolerate a respectable volume definitely. I listen to all kinds of music - hip hop, opera, electronic, techno, rock, alternative - and with the exception of a few high-pitched songs, these things can be pumped up to just about as high as you can stand it.

In regards to reliability, I’ve had them for ...

• about 6 months or so now, and I listen to them every single day. Aside from the cord twisting itself sometimes, I’ve noticed no problems with them. But then, I have a lot of old Sony audio equipment that has lasted, so I expect no problems from these either.

Once I got used to the cushioning (not as fluffy as what I was used to), I’ve found them to be very comfortable. Sometimes, I’ll have them on ALL day, and they don’t bother me at all as opposed to those little earbud things.

However, I DO feel them on

my ears. I suspect it’s because it’s too much weight for my body to get used to (like you don’t feel your underwear), but it isn’t at all uncomfortable.

The construction is very sturdy and tight, and they are made to accomodate even the largest of heads. Or, in my case, the smallest.

All in all, I’m very pleased with them. They are aesthetically pleasing - simple and black - and for twenty bucks I’d say the quality of sound is pretty darn good. Besides, it’s Sony - a trusted name in the industry for many years now.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161601570090931/k2311a0116/1.16.09