Mamma Mia  » Movies  »
  • I just thought, OK, if truth be told, I thought - 'OK for a bunch of saddos to go and see, I'll catch it when it comes on TV' - I know
  • But eight days later, and one rainy and freezing cold afternoon with nothing to do, so I thought, 'better get this over with, she's bound to ask what I thought of the movie'
  • But I don't think this is a movie for minute analysis
  • But taken as a wildly exuberant, laughingly joyous experience, it stands up to all scrutiny
  • I would seriously recommend this movie to everyone with a rainy afternoon to kill and do wish I had gone to see it on the big screen with the wonderful sunshine and the beautiful scenery blown up there for me to see

• by RevUer

I’m a child of the 70’s. Yes, that means I was a *child* in the 70’s, so I never really was into Abba much. I just remember bopping to ‘Dancing Queen’ at the school disco (wearing my Mum’s incredibly psychodelic maxi dress if I remember correctly) so I was not naturally drawn to this movie. I just thought, OK, if truth be told, I thought - ‘OK for a bunch of saddos to go and see, I’ll catch it when it comes on TV’ - I know! (Sorry about

that!!) But roll on Christmas 2008 and my best friend bought me a copy as a present. Even then I didn’t watch it straight away. I’m just trying to paint a picture here of extreme resistance to watching this movie.

But eight days later, and one rainy and freezing cold afternoon with nothing to do, so I thought, ‘better get this over with, she’s bound to ask what I thought of the movie’.

Well, wow!

From the very first the film grabs hold of you and doesn’t let go. The ...

• sunny Greek (?) island which is the setting has such beautiful panoramic views, and the girl who plays Sophie - Amanda Seyfried - is so pretty that you are hooked. The first song is Honey honey and is in context and meaningful within the story, which can actually also be said for all the other songs in the film.

All my misgivings about casting (Meryl Streep??) were laid to rest and the characterisations are believable (within the genre) and the acting is also to a certain extent right for the

movie.

But I don’t think this is a movie for minute analysis. If you did that it would immediately fall flat on its face. But taken as a wildly exuberant, laughingly joyous experience, it stands up to all scrutiny.

I would seriously recommend this movie to everyone with a rainy afternoon to kill and do wish I had gone to see it on the big screen with the wonderful sunshine and the beautiful scenery blown up there for me to see.

10 out of 10 Abba… I had a dream and Honey, you really did thrill me!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111501567890831/k2311a0115/1.15.09