Apocalypto movie  » Movies  »
  • I remember when the movie was released and being advertised my friends and I thought it would have been very interesting and thus, were very eager to see it
  • Unfortunately though, at the time, I was not able to afford the ticket to see it, so I had to wait until the movie got on cable in order to watch it
  • I was very busy once it did, and while taking the time out to watch it, the movie was so good that I had begun to regret that I did not see it in theatres with my friends
  • It had far exceeded my expectations, as I have noticed that many so-called exciting movies being advertised are not at all like how they are portrayed
  • Also, I think a significant point which I noticed was that the movie was in subtitles, but even then, I did not feel like I was missing out

• by RedTape

“Apocalypto” was a movie directed by actor Mel Gibson about a young warrior, Jaguar Paw living in the last days of a Mayan Kingdom in South America. I remember when the movie was released and being advertised my friends and I thought it would have been very interesting and thus, were very eager to see it. Unfortunately though, at the time, I was not able to afford the ticket to see it, so I had to wait until the movie got on cable in order to watch it. I was very busy once it did, and while taking the time out to watch it, the movie was so good that I had begun to regret that I did not see it in theatres with my friends. It had far exceeded my expectations, as I have noticed that many so-called exciting movies being advertised are not at all like how they are portrayed.

Although it was not completely historically accurate, it was interesting. Therefore, there were many times when I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat in suspense while watching the film. The

plot revolves around Jaguar Paw the main character, whose village is destroyed. He and the survivors are taken captive and some sold as slaves. However, the love for his family is strong, so during the raid, he hides them and works at making an escape to rescue them after he is captured. Thus, the film becomes action packed and even more suspenseful, to the point where the I, the audience became drawn in and begun to cheer on the young warrior.

I also found the main character to be very believable. This is because unlike many movies, including movies of this sort, the main character who might have a heroic role can sometimes come off as unreal since he seems to have no imperfections. I have viewed many films where the main character comes off as either emotionless or very emotionally disturbed, and never quite balanced. However, here, I was able to see a variety of mixed emotions in different scenes coming from Jaguar Paw. In many movies like this, the main characters sometimes come off as “perfect”, so in other words, they ...

• are usually multitalented and skilled in everything from martial arts, to archery, disarming bombs, are well read and usually scientifically advanced even for their time. However, I did not see this with Jaguar Paw, as in the movie, I saw him as merely an ordinary man fighting to get back to his family. He is a warrior and thus very athletic, however, I did not see him perform many “impossible actions”.

The acting also played a significant part in making the movie a masterpiece. Rudy Youngblood plays the role of the warrior Jaguar Paw in the movie, and I thought he did an excellent job at this. Unlike many actors, his face did not show only one expression, but a variety of them. I was able to sense love from him for his family, fear and determination, which is mostly what the movie revolves around. Also, I think a significant point which I noticed was that the movie was in subtitles, but even then, I did not feel like I was missing out. The movie was in Mayan, but there were times when the intonation

of his voice, made me feel just as if I were watching an ordinary movie in English.

I did not think the script was a masterpiece like most of the movie. However, I still thought that it was good. I did not find myself giving any confused expressions at certain quotes from characters. Rather, I understood and appreciated it. It was rather witty.

Two of the things I favored the most also were the costume and setting. I marveled at how the makeup artists and costume designers had managed to make everything so real and believable, as I do not think that before watching the movie I had ever seen makeup and costuming in movies which accurately portrayed real Mayans or even Amerindian tribes. I also marveled at the setting since it awed me that they were able to create such a believable place and environment.

I would recommend this movie to a lot of people who are interested in Latin American and Caribbean history, as even though it is not very historically accurate, the elements of the movie make it real and interesting.

Zhoobin says :

Hi ,with full respect I want to remind a peccadillo but important science mistake in Apocalypto dear Mel , can i do it ? hope my notice help that beautiful film be a error-free , tnx .

Redtape replies :

What are you trying to ask?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111401567030731/k2311a0114/1.14.09