An American Christmas Carol (1979). a movie
  • I thought this change was unnecessary and didn't work too well, stripping the ghosts of their supernaturedness
  • I think what really saves this movie is the performance of Henry Winkler who plays Benedict Slade, both the young and the old one, which is very unusual
  • I know of no other version of A Christmas Carol that does that, and I have seen most of them
  • Like I said, I didn't expect much when I had rented this movie, but I actually enjoyed it

• by Lorianna
      Normally, I don’t appreciate it when classic stories are being messed with, modernized, turned into musicals, etc. However, this attempt to Americanize the beloved Christmas story by Charles Dickens somehow turned out all right. Based, of course, on “A Christmas Carol,” this movie transforms the Victorian London into America’s great Depression New England, and the cold-hearted old businessman Ebenezer Scrooge into Benedict Slade (also a businessman and also old and cold-hearted, no big change here).

Just like Scrooge, Slade does not care for Christmas. He begins his celebration of it

by visiting his debtors and taking away their belongings, handing out eviction notices, etc.

In the evening, the ghostly visitations begin, pretty much following the original story: the ghost of Slade’s dead partner comes first to warn him about the danger of making money the number 1 priority in life, then come the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. The ghosts do a good job, but there is one thing I didn’t like about the latter three: they look like people Slade knows, actually some of the debtors he ...

• has visited during the day, so every time a ghost shows up Slade thinks it’s another upset debtor who is here either to beg for mercy or to even the score.

I thought this change was unnecessary and didn’t work too well, stripping the ghosts of their “supernaturedness. ” I think what really saves this movie is the performance of Henry Winkler who plays Benedict Slade, both the young and the old one, which is very unusual.

I know of no other version of “A Christmas Carol” that does that, and

I have seen most of them. Every other version has an older actor for the present-day Scrooge and a younger one for the scenes of the past.

Henry Winkler does both, and he does it well. He is believable as a young businessman just beginning his career and as a hardened old man, lonely and bitter.

His transformation and eventual change of heart are also convincing. Like I said, I didn’t expect much when I had rented this movie, but I actually enjoyed it.

I rate it 9 out of 10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117095660730/k2311a0917/9.17.05