iPod Shuffle
  • I was impressed at how easy the installation of iTunes was
  • Mind you, about a week ago I decided to download some songs from the file sharing program I do pay for and load them to the pod, I couldn't since they didn't have license numbers

• by Becky McDonald

I was given an iPod shuffle for Christmas, much to my dismay. I’ve never had much use for the iPod brand, having heard many horror stories about the difficulty in using them and scared away further by their price tags.

When my father handed me the little box that held my Shuffle, I wasn’t quite as gracious as I should have been. I didn’t even use it, just set it aside in the safety of my dresser and went about my daily business with my bright pink MuVo V100. I had no intent on opening the iPod box, but saving it for the day soon to come when my daughter wanted one. But, then the day came when my precious MuVo disappeared. (I really need to hire an exorcist - it’s common knowledge my apartment

is haunted!)

Reluctantly, I opened the package with the iPod and dug out the directions. I was already annoyed, the stupid thing was so hard to get out of the box! Then the directions…no words? Must have been designed by men for men. I had my husband decipher for me.

I figured the installation was going to be the worst, since I have no Apple software or compatibility software. I figured I was going to see all these messages asking me to pay for iTunes or registration. I was so wrong.

I downloaded iTunes quickly and easily. Funny thing is that iTunes is the only program involved in the installation process. When it took less than five minutes to download and install, I was happily shocked! In the interim, I had been adding funds to paypal so ...

• I could purchase music to load onto the player and grumbling the whole time about paying for music I already had paid for again!

I was impressed at how easy the installation of iTunes was. Even more impressed was I when it automatically imported the existing 2200 songs on my computer and formatted them into iTunes files. Nice! So I don’t have to pay again!

It was really easy to create my playlists. I can mix and max all the songs I want, up to 1GB in files and name thousands of play lists. I plug the pod in, I sync it and click “Transfer”. All the files currently on the pod are removed and new ones added! While I’m doing this, my battery is also being charged. Wicked!

Okay, so at this point, iPod isn’t so bad.

The program is eerily similar to Media Player, so I’m familiar with the layout. I was really impressed at how easy to use it was, and the fact that it is a choice to pay for new music.

Mind you, about a week ago I decided to download some songs from the file sharing program I do pay for and load them to the pod, I couldn’t since they didn’t have license numbers. I actually had to download them to the computer that doesn’t have iTunes, transfer them via Flash Drive and then add them to iTunes. That was inconvenient and annoying, but really kind of worth it.

I still like my bright pink MuVo better, and when the ghost returns it I’ll be reboxing my iPod, but it’s a decent replacement for now. For half the cost….consider Creative.

iPod Shuffle

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161201565801131/k2311a0112/1.12.09