Rustoleum Magnetic Primer  » Other  »
  • I bought a container of this paint to make a bulletin board type surface for my mom

• by aupoet

I bought a container of this paint to make a bulletin board type surface for my mom. She wanted somewhere to display the little school pictures of her grandkids that she has in magnetic frames, besides the refridgerator. I fixed up a 30 inch square piece of hardboard and started painting it with this primer.

The directions said to use three thin coats of the primer and

that it could be topcoated with any color latex paint to give a surface that would hold up magnetic letters or pictures. The primer itself comes in a one quart container for $20 and is flat black in color.

It went on in thick coats and is water-based so clean up was easy. According to the label there is enough primer to treat a 4 ft.

by ...

• 4 ft. area.

I was only using a 2 1/2 ft. x 2 1/2 ft.

surface but I had to use over half the can to get a surface strong enough to hold up a small 2 inch x 3 inch picture. It took some six coats of the primer not three as listed, to get the surface just strong enough so the picture wouldn’t slide

off.

The primer drys quickly so it could be recoated in only 30 minutes, but still it took a couple of days to complete my project. I contacted the Rustoleum company and received a quick reply.

They said the label had a mistake and should have said to apply several thick coats not three thin ones. I used what I consider thick coats.

They offered to refund my money.

Kelli says :

I am wondering if the dry erase paint covers the magnetic primer paint completly. I had planned on using chalkboard paint for the top coat, but now that the primer is on, I feel like it is to dark in that area, but I don`t want to make a bigger mess than I already have

Galega says :

It will depend on your dry erase paint. You need to confirm this issue from the salesperson as you have not mentioned the brand of your dry erase pain. Please note, applying multiple coat may lower down the magnetic power of this primer.

aupoet replies :

I am afraid I cannot say whether or not your dry erase paint will cover the magnetic paint. You would just have to try some and see. If you have to put on several coats then the surface may not be magnetic enough to hold anything.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121201565671131/k2311a0112/1.12.09