Honolulu Community College
874 Dillingham Blvd. Honolulu, HI 96817
  • By far, the best thing about this school is the warmth and personal attention that the professors offer their students
  • I found that the faculty and staff were all just as caring
  • My suggestion to anyone who is a recent transplant to Honolulu, military or others, and anticipates going to school here, establish residency by getting a Hawaii driver's license or ID card ASAP and register to vote or get a Hawaii Library Card ASAP, because the tuition is much more expensive for non-residents
  • I think I remember having to show a utility bill with my name and address on it as well

• by Hawaii Reviewer

Honolulu Community College is an excellent choice for anyone wanting to get an A.A. or A.S. degree in almost any field. There are several community colleges on Oahu, but this one has a fantastic technical side as well. They offer career training in aviation, cosmetology, auto repair and others. I took classes at all of them at one time or another, but ended up choosing this one to get my Liberal Arts degree at because it has the most choices of classes and various times in which you can take each class. The flexible schedule with many night courses offered allowed me to work during the day and attend mostly classes at night. Also, there were plenty of lunchtime courses available so that I could run over and take a class in the middle

of the day during work hours.

By far, the best thing about this school is the warmth and personal attention that the professors offer their students. In my entire two years on that campus, I never disliked a teacher. I didn’t always enjoy the classes, especially math, but they always had liberal office hours and were willing to schedule appointments with students after hours as well. I found that the faculty and staff were all just as caring. This school has a very special feel to it. They really care about the success of their students. The career counseling center is awesome. They work hard to help you to find work once you’ve graduated, or even if you are looking for part time jobs to help with tuition.

Speaking of ...

• tuition, it is unbelievably cheap for locals to take classes here. My suggestion to anyone who is a recent transplant to Honolulu, military or others, and anticipates going to school here, establish residency by getting a Hawaii driver’s license or ID card ASAP and register to vote or get a Hawaii Library Card ASAP, because the tuition is much more expensive for non-residents. You must be able to prove that you have been in the state as a resident for at least one year in order to get the lower tuition rates. Of course, federal financial aid is available for some of you, but you still don’t want to incur more debt because the loans were given to you to pay the higher tuition rates.

Once again, even if you are going back and forth

from Hawaii to the mainland, but expect that you will be living here and attending school here in the future, get a Hawaii ID and Library card during your first trip here and you will begin establishing your residency. Once you actually live here and are ready to go to school, you will have the necessary documentation to show you have been a resident for a year. I think I remember having to show a utility bill with my name and address on it as well. So be sure to put something with an address on it and your name on it in place once you get established here. They will need to see that too, but your ID will have the date that you became a resident one year ago. Hope this helps! .

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501101565110731/k2311a0111/1.11.09