TI-84 Plus Calculator  » Electronics  »
  • When I bought it a couple of years ago, I was overwhelmed by 40-50 buttons on the calculator
  • One negative point about this calculator which annoyed me while taking the SAT was that it was rather loud and people could probably tell when I was solving a problem
  • But of course, the people who designed this calculator had to consider the possibility that somebody may take out the cover and forget to put it back on, or lose it altogether
  • There are several other features I like about this calculator
  • Overall, it has given me a good experience, and though I have had to change its battery about 3 or 4 times, I feel glad to own such a good quality calculator

• by kaorusango

The TI-84 Plus calculator is a calculator by Texas Instruments and is a graphing calculator. When I bought it a couple of years ago, I was overwhelmed by 40-50 buttons on the calculator. However, it turned out to be pretty easy to use. But of course, there are some calculations that can’t be put in a button. For those kind of situations, there are applications and math sections which open up to a menu which you can look at to perform all kinds of cool calculations. There are also arrow buttons to choose various options.

One negative point about this calculator which annoyed me while taking the SAT was that it was rather loud and people could probably tell when I was solving a problem. Many calculators can avoid that problem, so I wish this calculator had that feature too.

The physical appearance itself is not bad. I got a black calculator which has a

bit of white in it around the screen and the bottom is curved. It is not heavy but is rather big, so it can’t be called a pocket calculator for sure.

The calculator comes with a little object that you can use to cover it up with so that it does not become dirty. I really liked this about the calculator because whenever I went to school and had to keep my calculator on the table while studying there, it did not get dirty. More importantly, I liked it because it prevented the accidental clicking of the “on” button, which would be a disaster because the calculator would run out of battery.

But of course, the people who designed this calculator had to consider the possibility that somebody may take out the cover and forget to put it back on, or lose it altogether. For that purpose, the calculator always shuts off after about 5 ...

• minutes of no activity. But coming back to the point before that, it is rather hard to lose the cover firstly because it is as big as the calculator and secondly because you can easily slide the front on the back while working and then put it back in its proper place.

There are several other features I like about this calculator. One of my favorites is that there is an applications section where you can do many activities. For example, you can build a to-do-list, you can play games and one of my personal favorites, you can make flashcards for studying. Of course, some applications are not on there directly, so you may have to use the USB connector and connect it to your computer. Then you can download applications into the calculator. But I must note that if games and other applications occupy too much memory in the calculator, it will probably

hamper the calculator’s “abilities”.

Now, there are so many things you can do with this calculator! I recommend that you use the handy booklet and CD that comes with this calculator to use it properly and see all the things you can do with it!

You can buy this calculator at probably any electronic store like Best Buy, online stores like Amazon, or other stores like Wal-Mart. I personally bought mine at Office Max for around a hundred dollars. Yes, it is definitely expensive for a calculator. I agree there, but it is one of the top-used calculators in High School, from Algebra to Calculus and even beyond High School.

Also, note that you can buy it in different colors like pink, silver and other colors.

Overall, it has given me a good experience, and though I have had to change its battery about 3 or 4 times, I feel glad to own such a good quality calculator.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161001564131231/k2311a0110/1.10.09