iPod Touch 2nd Generation  » Electronics  »
  • I was slightly disappointed with the lack of a manual
  • I figured that the best thing to do was just plug it into the computer, which seemed to work
  • I found it odd that it was 'precharged', according to the icon on the screen, so I figured out how to power it up, and I was on my way
  • It's relatively light (not sure about the exact weight), with a shiny black front and chrome back - both of which, unfortunately, are fingerprint magnets
  • If you can get over the relatively steep price, I highly recommend Apple's iPod Touch

• by Adam Sutler

I recently received the iPod Touch 16GB second generation as a gift for Christmas, as I had been thinking about purchasing it myself for quite some time.

FIRST IMPRESSION

As with many electronic products, the first impression is given by the box. Apple certainly did not thrill me with this. The Touch was packaged in a clear plastic container, with a plastic ‘holder’ surrounding the iPod. Nothing fancy, but it did the job.

I was very excited opening it, and I have to admit, it’s certainly one sleek piece of technology. I was slightly disappointed with the lack of a manual. There was a fold up ‘quick start’ guide, which wasn’t helpful at all. It merely told me what I already know (what the touch can do - not how to do it). There is an instruction manual available online, which I suppose is good, as it saves paper (yeah, I’m an environmentalist), but I do prefer the hard copy - especially when you’re paying well over $300 for the item!

I figured that the best thing to do was just plug it into the computer, which seemed to work. I found it odd that it was ‘precharged’, according to the icon on the screen, so I figured out how to power it up, and I was on my way.

I immediately tried to access the internet via my Wi-Fi connection, and though I had some slight problems at first, I soon had it up and running.

APPEARANCE

As I previously stated, the iPod is a very sleek ‘toy’. It’s relatively light (not sure about the exact weight), with a shiny black front and chrome back - both of which, unfortunately, are fingerprint magnets. Despite washing my hands every fifteen minutes, the iPod was soon covered with fingerprints, although they could quickly be removed with the included cleaning cloth - and a bit of windex never hurt either.

Overall, the Touch is the *very* nice looking

toy that every (big) kid dreams about.

FUNCTIONALITY

The iPod runs seamlessly, and its interface is so simple, my Grandma could use it (well, maybe not my Grandma, but you get my point)! I have occasionally encountered lag when browsing the internet, and I once had a major problem where none of my applications (more on these subjects later), but they were both solved relatively easily.

The touch screen is a very neat feature, and although I wouldn’t purchase this version of the iPod only for it, it’s a nice addition. It is a bit touchy, but after a day or two you get used to it.

The past two days the screen (not software - on the outside) has gotten quite ‘rough’, and I’ve found that my finger is having some trouble sliding across the screen. A quick polish removes most of the problems, though.

MUSIC

With all the other features, I haven’t listened to a heck of a lot of music yet, but from what I’ve heard so far, the quality is pretty good. The included earphones don’t do much for it, so I’m sure if I spent a few bucks on an upgrade it would help a lot.

If you purchase music from iTunes there are several features available that you cannot use with your pre owned music. The main one of these is ‘Genius’. With a few clicks (touches), you can create a Genius playlist. This program puts together songs that go well together. How it does it, I have no idea, but it seems to work fine. Nothing spectacular, but it does get the songs of the same genre together.

You also can select shuffle mode, which, in case you do not already know, makes it so that after your song has finished, the same old play order is not followed - a different song is randomly jumped to.

VIDEOS

I’ve watched two full length movies and several youtube videos so far,

• and all of them work very well. The quality is quite good - what you would expect for a media player of this size, with downloaded videos being better than Youtube. I especially like that when you leave a (downloaded) video - go somewhere else on the iPod, or even shut it off, and you go back to the video at a later date, it starts where you left off. Saves a lot of fast forwarding.

Youtube videos work fine, and actually load faster than on my laptop. Not great quality, but no youtube videos are - even on computers. I’ve found that the search pages load slower than the videos themselves.

INTERNET

Frankly, the ability to browse the internet is the reason that I wanted the iPod Touch in the first place. I travel around a fair bit, and being able to use the internet just about anywhere, without having to lug around my laptop is a huge bonus. I would have paid $350 just for that - forget about the music, videos and everything else.

The internet pages load relatively fast, usually within a few seconds. You cannot, however, view the entire page at one time. At most zoomed out stage the whole page still isn’t in view, and it isn’t legible anyways. But, it gets the job done, and that’s all you can expect.

Wifi is picked up from, to my knowledge, up to about thirty five feet away from the router. Even going through a few walls doesn’t seem to be a problem.

APPLICATIONS

Applications available via the ‘App Store’ built into the iPod are a very useful feature. Several hundred apps are available free of charge, or on a trial basis, and the vast majority of the others cost under $5. I have purchased thirteen classic novels for $0.99, including titles such as ‘Call of the Wild’ and ‘20 000 Leagues Under the Sea’.

There are over a thousand applications to choose

from, ranging from games to ‘The Art of War’ by Sun Tzu.

BATTERY

I have done a few tests with the battery, and I’ve found several things. The battery lasts for several days when in standby mode, and roughly 10-12 hours playing videos or games, longer for browsing the internet, listening to music, or less power consuming applications.

I found that shutting down the iPod takes up more power when left overnight than leaving it in standby mode. I believe it is the startup, which takes around twenty seconds, that drains the battery. I found that it took nearly a quarter of a full charge, just powering it on!

OVERALL

The iPod Touch is a very entertaining music, video and game player. I do not recommend getting any larger than the 16 GB, as after that it is a bit of a waste of money. This was my first every Apple product, and while I am relatively impressed with it, I am haunted by the reason that I never purchased Apple merchandise before - the extraordinarily high price of their accessories. A ’screen protector’ is available at three for $20.00 - which is like paying $7 for a piece of plastic to cover the screen. Back covering silicone cases range from $25 to $40. So far I’m attempting to refrain from buying a case, but I believe I will get one eventually. I personally recommend buying a non name brand case, as you will get the same functionality for a much lower price.

This iPod makes a great gift, and is also something that can be used by the whole family. Considering how much more you can get for just $100 more than a nano, you should certainly get a Touch over a cheaper model. It’s great for all ages, and only takes a little while to learn how to use. If you can get over the relatively steep price, I highly recommend Apple’s iPod Touch.

iPod Touch 2nd Generation

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16901563321231/k2311a019/1.9.09