Mistral Ceiling Fan  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • I bought the 3 ceiling fans for a combined price of around RM 350 (around USD$ 100) which is quite a good price since the shop owner is my dad's close friend back in my hometown
  • The material used here is plastic and is definitely better than the traditional metal as it is lighter and free of rust
  • I actually placed it in a very tight corner next to my wardrobe and now, I am facing a very serious problem
  • That is why the next time someone wants to buy a ceiling fan, I will ask the person to consider properly because to install and uninstall a ceiling fan, is not a very easy job

• by honest.guy

When I moved into my new condominium about a year ago, I installed 3 Mistral ceiling fans in 3 separate bedrooms. The ceiling fans are of the same model which is the MCF 60E, and they are white in colour. I bought the 3 ceiling fans for a combined price of around RM 350 (around USD$ 100) which is quite a good price since the shop owner is my dad’s close friend back in my hometown.

Each fan has 3 blades, each measuring about 60 inches and this enables the fan to produce pretty strong wind. I was surprised that this 3 blades ceiling fan can actually outperform my old 4-bladed ceiling fan which I installed in my hometown since most people told me the more blades a ceiling fan has, the better. I did not go for the 4-bladed one this time due to financial constraints since the 4-bladed version tends to be a lot more expensive. The material used here is plastic and is definitely better than the traditional metal as it is lighter and free of rust. My old ceiling

fans have all been attacked by rust over the years and I find it very difficult to clean them completely. The brownish black rusts would always stay with the old ceiling fans no matter what kind of chemical I used to try and wash them away. That is why I am glad that the material used by most ceiling fans nowadays is plastic. Besides that, the lightness of the blade also ensures that the ceiling fan does not consume that much energy while trying to produce the same amount of wind.

As for the control, there is no remote control and it only comes with the standard wall panel. There are 5 speeds to choose from. However, the size of this wall panel, or regulator as some people called it, is quite big and not slim at all. I actually placed it in a very tight corner next to my wardrobe and now, I am facing a very serious problem. The regulator has broken down. I can no longer control the speed of the fan. What happened was that unlike most fans which ...

• allows you to turn the round panel clockwise and anti-clockwise, this does not. I tried to turn it clockwise and it worked well but when I tried to turn it back after changing my mind, there is no “Tick” sound to show that I have switched to the right speed. All I heard was a very weird clicking sound and few weeks later, the “Tick” sound was gone even if I’m using the panel in clockwise direction. This is very frustrating since my bedroom is quite warm during certain part of the day and I cannot make the ceiling fan spins faster. The speed is stuck at the 2nd from lowest, which was the speed at the point when the panel broke down. I actually went back to the shop and complained to the shop owner but he could not do anything. He told me that Mistral has actually been acquired by another company and the support has become pretty poor. How valid this piece of news is, I am not sure but he told me he did received numerous complaints from customers
        about that particular model. In fact, 80% of the units he sold were problematic and I am very fortunate to have 1 problematic out of the 3 I bought from him. He did offer me another ceiling fan after that since that is all he could do but I rejected his offer. It will be too troublesome for me to uninstall the ceiling fan, remove the wall panel from the tiny space next to my wardrobe, and then repeat the steps all over with the new ceiling fan. I might as well go for a standing fan to save me the trouble.

Overall, this is definitely not a recommended buy. It’s my mistake for going for cheaper ceiling fan. My ceiling fan in the living room is still working perfectly fine after so long but my supposedly new Mistral ceiling fan has died on me slightly after 1 year. That is why the next time someone wants to buy a ceiling fan, I will ask the person to consider properly because to install and uninstall a ceiling fan, is not a very easy job.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 53901563271231/k2311a019/1.9.09