PowerLine Mobile AC Outlet with USB Power Port
1.0
  • You definitely notice the fan when sitting quietly at a WiFi spot trying to compute
  • Second, while the PowerLine is rated at 400 watts surge (that's the extra wattage some devices use for a fraction of a second when starting up) I have noticed that with a surge anywhere near the top of the rating, the PowerLine hesitates and complains
  • I don't know whether the problem is the individual PowerLine unit, or whether this is just a junk made in China product
  • I plan to return this one and try another to see, but at this point I definitely can't recommend this model of inverter, especially for a sensitive electronic device

• by InfoShorts

The PowerLine is a 200 watt (400 peak) DC to AC inverter with two AC outlets and a USB power port. It plugs into the cigarette lighter of your car and lets you run two small AC appliances and a USB device off of your car battery. I have carried a portable AC outlet in my car for years to run or recharge my laptop on the road, but you could also run a DVD player, a small car vacuum, or other convenience.

Before getting the PowerLine, I had a single-outlet inverter from Radio Shack which had operated flawlessly and

quietly for four years. No complaints, though I do remeber that it was relatively expensive — around $80 — and produced fewer watts than the PowerLine device. The PowerLine cost under $40 at WalMart.

I guess you get what you pay for. The PowerLine is noisy, no two ways about it. You definitely notice the fan when sitting quietly at a WiFi spot trying to compute. If you use it while driving to recharge your laptop battery or run a DVD player for the kids, expect to turn up your radio or DVD player volume a couple of ...

• notches to hear it over the fan. Second, while the PowerLine is rated at 400 watts surge (that’s the extra wattage some devices use for a fraction of a second when starting up) I have noticed that with a surge anywhere near the top of the rating, the PowerLine hesitates and complains. It also hates to run when it is cold. And finally, I have gotten a shock a couple of times from my computer’s power port when it is hooked to the PowerLine (but never when it is plugged into the wall.) I am afraid that one of these
        days the PowerLine is going to fry my motherboard, so I have started plugging a surge protector into the PowerLine and plugging my computer into the surge protector. That added another $20 to what I spend to be able to compute in the car and makes the front seat a mess of wires.

I don’t know whether the problem is the individual PowerLine unit, or whether this is just a junk made in China product. I plan to return this one and try another to see, but at this point I definitely can’t recommend this model of inverter, especially for a sensitive electronic device.

John says :

What is the maximum current draw? I keep blowing my car`s 12V, 20A fuse…

Yesaya Jnr Nkhwazi says :

It can only supply 200 watts so its possible that you are plugging in a device that requires more power than that hence it keeps blowing, check the specks of whatever you are plugging in and make sure its less than 200 watts.

quick note by anonymous :

when i plugged the device into the power source in my car it blows the fuses this has happened on my friends car too,any idea why.

Sunny says :

The device operates on a higher current rating, so will fuse the car slot due to large current flow.

Galega says :

It is happening because of the difference of required power by your car point and power supplied by this device. The power supply of it is in the upper zone. Usually, the point at car accepts moderate power supply. The difference is the reason why it blows the fuses.

doug says :

I`m on my second unit in 3 weeks.This one lasted less than a day. The red lite blinks and it trips the breaker on my boat. Any ideas why?

Jules Li says :

It’s possible that it’s overloading the power breaker on your boat. You should test it out by plugging it into a different source, maybe in a house to see if the issue persists.

-13
    Dan says :

DC to AC Converter beeps when plugged in. Plug switch slides down each time it is plugged in. Any way to repair? Replace a fuse? Is there a reset?

Galega says :

There isn’t any reset button here. I think the ideal way to handle this quagmire is to replace the fuse. That is most probably causing the problem.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33701561520831/k2311a017/1.7.09