Linksys repeaters (WRE54G) and access points (WAP54G)
  • If you are to ask me, I prefer using a wireless access point instead (WAP54G) to be used as repeater because it doesn't divide the speed or the MBPS of the router unlike with the range expander (WRE54G), it does divides it

• by jesbellaine

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

Last night, I went to my friend’s apartment to install their Linksys wireless router (WRT54G), 2 Access Points (WAP54G) and 1 WRE54G (range expanders). I was able to install all products successfully last night. We all know that the WRT54G is a wireless router that can send signal to wireless computers to get access to the Internet.

Well as for the WAP54G and WRE54G, they can be set up as

a repeater so that it can extend the range or coverage of your wireless router for the dead spot at home. My friend has a pretty big place so we have to put the 2nd WAP54G access point (oh, the first one must be hardwired to the WRT54G) and the WRE54G (range expander) to location on where it can repeat the signal of the router effectively so that his computer ...

• in the attic and basement can get a signal from it.

If you are to ask me, I prefer using a wireless access point instead (WAP54G) to be used as repeater because it doesn’t divide the speed or the MBPS of the router unlike with the range expander (WRE54G), it does divides it.

For example, the WRE54G will repeat the signal of your 54 mbps router, however, when it

reach to the other computer (the one that needs better signal), the 54 mbps will just become 27 mbps 30 mbps, sometimes lower with the Access point (WAP54G) setup as a repeater, it will still retain the same speed (54 mbps) while repeating the first WAP54G signal so it is much faster.

Cheers!

Jim says :

Is it true that generally repeaters will cause a little bit of lag which can actually complicate things like streaming? I`m curious because I`ve been looking at a few different ones but I`m not too sure if it I want to go that router or go with the WAP like you have suggested. There must be some downsides to using the WAP54G as opposed to using the WRE54G. With that being said maybe Linksys have something else which can solve the problem or are these the only two options available? I`ve been looking at and they appear to have all sorts of different kinds but I`m unsure what is right for my setup. I`m in a duplex, so basically I need to be able to extend from the top floor to the basement and increase the signal. Seems to be a pain.

Jules Li says :

Repeaters in general do have an additional lag, due in part to the additional transmission that’s required. It’s usually no more than a 2-3 second delay.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33601561291031/k2311a016/1.6.09