WD Passport USB External Hard Disk
  • I bought the Western Digital (WD) Passport USB external hard disk during a local PC Fair last year for RM 230 (around USD$ 65)
  • It is very convenient for me and it is well protected by password encryption
  • I prefer to move the files manually by copying and pasting
  • It might not have the best compression and might take up more space, but at least I have the flexibility to control the files and do not have to depend on the application provided
  • Other than that, this is definitely 1 external hard disk people should get

• by honest.guy

I bought the Western Digital (WD) Passport USB external hard disk during a local PC Fair last year for RM 230 (around USD$ 65). It has 160 GB of hard disk space and is quite cheap for its price at that time. The device is quite small and light for a 160 GB hard disk. It is black in colour with a very slick and slim design. The surface is made of a high reflective material, which adds to the elegance of the device. There is also a white LED light at one of the sides which will light up whenever the device is in use and is not safe to be removed. The entire WD passport uses a USB cable and is compatible with the high speed USB 2.0 port. Unlike other older generation of external hard disk drive, this does not require you to plug in any power adapter. The device is small enough to be powered by the

USB cable alone. This is very useful since the power cable can be quite heavy and bothersome.

The device also comes with several useful applications. I can set up my own user profile and backup the necessary files from my computer such as my Outlook configuration, my web browsers’ favourites, my document files, my multimedia files, and others. It is very convenient for me and it is well protected by password encryption. Whenever I want to backup, I will just run the application, enter my password, select the files and configurations I want to backup and the application will do it for me. I can then use the saved files and restore them back into my computer, or on to another computer. The application is also smart enough to detect the version of the files. However, this is not without a problem. The folder which stores this application is within the external hard disk and if you accidentally deleted it, your ...

• backup files will be gone. Why? Because the file types are being encrypted by the application and none of them appears in the original format which means you cannot open those files except by using the very same application which you have used to back them up. This is pretty risky since one might accidentally remove the folder, only to find all the backup files are gone with it. It would be nice if the folder which this application resides can be locked but that will disallow freedom to the more advanced users. For an IT person like me, I don’t use the application provided. I prefer to move the files manually by copying and pasting. It might not have the best compression and might take up more space, but at least I have the flexibility to control the files and do not have to depend on the application provided.

Also, the surface of the device is a complete fingerprint magnet

due to the material used. It looks classy and slick but it is easy to have fingerprints especially since it is black in colour. Furthermore, the entire bundle does not come with any form of bag or container for you to keep the device. This is quite a let down and I was forced to use my old Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) pouch to keep it. It looks funny but it serves the purpose. I don’t want my brand new slick-looking device to be filled with fingerprints and scratches.

Overall, the WD Passport is definitely a good external hard disk to have due to its affordability, portability, slickness in design, slim but strong build, decent utility application, and great performance. The only thing I am not happy about it is the body which is prone to fingerprints and scratches, and the entire bundle does not come with a container for the device. Other than that, this is definitely 1 external hard disk people should get.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33601561171031/k2311a016/1.6.09