Type 1 Volkswagen Beetle (pre 1979)  » Cars  »
  • You can talk with other owners, share stories, look at different stages of restoration and some that have just been kept up over the years, many will have a story typed up and taped to the window, it is really fun and very interesting
  • It is by far the most amazing car event I have ever been to
  • If I were to put my opinion about a Type 1 Volkswagen Beetle in just one sentence, I would say that it was the best car in the world to own
  • If you want an experience that cannot be compared with owning any other car, get a Type 1 Volkswagen

• by RichieLP

The Type 1 Volkswagen Beetle remains an excellent starter or primary car to this day.

The one of the first things on people’s minds today about a car is gas mileage. Luckily, with the 73 Beetle, you get 27 MPG city and 32 MPG highway. Both numbers can go up as much as 5 MPG depending on how you drive it, as well as go down 5 or 6 MPG. For example, I was cruzing on the highway at the ideal 55mph, and I pulled off 38 MPG. But one time I was blazing down the highway at 78, and I got just over 20. But generally speaking, 27/32 is what you can realistically expect with two 210lb guys sitting in the front.

From an economical standpoint, the Beetle is a dream come true. The car is very reliable, and when it does break, parts are cheap and easy to come by. Most consumables can be bought at Auto Zone. They are also much cheaper and easier to repair than most modern day economy cars. In fact, if you know a thing or two about cars, or not, you can figure out how to fix most things yourself, which eliminates your need to go to some overpriced garage. Most cosmetic things and many funtional things can

be fixed with duct tape, which is very cheap and convienient. But one thing you will notice is that there is not much to break in the first place! You ain’t got any electronics except an AM radio with one speaker! That is seriously it! The engine is very simple and exceptionally logical, and it will last a lifetime or two. You guys getting killed on insurance prices nowadays? How does $110 a year sound? No, I didn’t forget that last 0. You can insure it for $110 a year. Believe me, Volkswagens are NOT disposables! They are durable cars that are built to be cheap to run and to last a lifetime.

Overall, the driving experience is amazing. It might have a bumpy and loud ride, but that’s just a part of the fun. Imagine how it feels to simply go to the store, and turn a lot of heads and get numerous complements as you go. You will probably even get a story out of an older guy about what he did back when he had his Volkswagen (and they will always smile). If you park it near the entrance, as you walk in you will hear people comment on it to themslelves, you can see people pointing at it and saying “Look at ...

• that! I remember when I had my Volkswagen…”. Not only does it light up your day, it brings back a lot of fun memories for people around you. You can also take it to exclusive events and shows just for Volkswagens, which are everywhere. They are very fun. You can talk with other owners, share stories, look at different stages of restoration and some that have just been kept up over the years, many will have a story typed up and taped to the window, it is really fun and very interesting. I go to the Bug A Fair in Terryville, CT every year. It is by far the most amazing car event I have ever been to. It is also a great feeling to know that your car is being admired too.

For a first car, a Type 1 Volkswagen is perfect. It is an excellent escape from a common hunk of junk that most teens pick up for a few grand. For 4 grand, your kid can drive a prestigious car in good condition, and it comes with everything a parent likes in a car. It has 46hp. It does 0-60 in 20 seconds. It has a top speed of 83mph. Think your kid is going to speed in that thing? You can barely

fit a normal size guy in the back, so you don’t have to worry about that! What more can you ask for? Oh yea, how about literally no frills? I am talking nothing! Nothing! An AM radio with one speaker is the only electronic thing in that car! And half the time it don’t work! It has no power brakes nor power steering, and a 4 speed, so it really builds up your teen’s skills quickly. I leanred how to drive at 14 on a 73 Volkswagen, and now I can drive better than most adults (I am 16). They can learn the basics of the mechanics of cars, and since it is really easy to work on them, they will be fixing it on their own in no time. Believe me, this is a dream come true for a first car, and I am sure all the shows and cruzes all over the place is going to provide them with a lot of fun times.

If I were to put my opinion about a Type 1 Volkswagen Beetle in just one sentence, I would say that it was the best car in the world to own. If you want an experience that cannot be compared with owning any other car, get a Type 1 Volkswagen.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 9501560600831/k2311a015/1.5.09