Book Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy  » Books  »
  • Light a Penny Candle was the first book I read by Maeve Binchy that I actually enjoyed
  • Light a Penny Candle was different, and I think that was because of the main characters and the fact that you get to see them grow up as well as for a tight bond
  • It's a moving book and I found myself staying up all night, skipping the house cleaning and planting my butt in a chair just so that I could get through the entire book
  • I definitely recommend this book if you are a Binchy fan

• by alpha2zulu

Light a Penny Candle was the first book I read by Maeve Binchy that I actually enjoyed. Prior to this novel I tried getting through two of her books, but I just couldn’t stay interested.

Light a Penny Candle was different, and I think that was because of the main characters and the fact that you get to see them grow up as well as for a tight bond.

It really is a beautiful thing to see no matter what else happened in their lives and it reminds you of how important a best friend can be in your life.

Basically, the book takes place in Ireland during the Second World War. Elizabeth is sent from London to live with the O’Connors, family friend, in a small Irish town. While everything is different, Elizabeth quickly finds ...

• her place aided by Aisling, who is the same age as herself.

Both girls grow up and eventually separate, but they never really leave each other and still play a role in each others lives. It’s a moving book and I found myself staying up all night, skipping the house cleaning and planting my butt in a chair just so that I could get through the entire book.

Life isn’t

always everything you hope it can be, but when you have good friends and good people around you it is much easier than trying to get through it all alone.

I definitely recommend this book if you are a Binchy fan. For those of you who are unfamiliar with her work or wouldn’t regularly read one of her novels I think you should give this one a chance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17501560410831/k2311a015/1.5.09