Population 436
  • You have a Federal Census worker entering a small town in what I believe is one of the Dakotas
  • This wasn't a movie that had me leaping off my couch but it definitely was interesting
  • I would definitely recommend this movie the next time you're looking for something to watch

• by Steve

Once again, a movie I’ve never even heard about before turned out to be a pretty good thriller for our weekly movie night. When I came across Population 436 on my movie channels Wednesday night, I had no idea what it was.

But, I was a

bit tired and didn’t want a long movie and, while I wanted a thriller, I didn’t want another slasher flick or zombie movie.

Population 436 offered something a bit different.

You have a Federal Census worker entering a small town in what I believe is one of the Dakotas.

While there, he encounters a population that has stayed at the same 436 number for more than 100 years.

When the movie first started, I figured it was some sort of curse that killed someone off everytime a new child was born.

Instead,

• Population 436
      it’s the town folk themselves who insist on keeping the population at that number; even if it means holding a festival to celebrate someone killing themselves.

And, apparently, if you spend the night, you are considered part of the community.

This wasn’t a movie that had

me leaping off my couch but it definitely was interesting; especially since nobody explains what’s going on until the very end; when we also learn that anyone who attempts to escape ends up dying because “it’s God’s will.

” I would definitely recommend this movie the next time you’re looking for something to watch.

Andrew Leither says :

Population 436 sounds great and very interesting. I have never heard of the movie or seen it but it sounds worthwhile. It’s amazing how one suddenly ends up enjoying a great movie and you have never heard of it

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11301558571231/k2311a013/1.3.09