Silliman University  » Education  »
Dumaguete City, Philippines
  • When the time comes, I would definitely send my children then---that is, if I can afford to

• by theredquill

Dumaguete City would be a very sleepy town without Silliman University, probably the oldest American-founded university in the Philippines—a large campus that accomodates students from all over the world and that houses colleges and departments dubbed as centers of excellence.

Despite coming from a poor family, I have been privileged to attain my university degree at Silliman. I took a five-year course so my parents were really trying to make both ends meet especially that a big chunk of the family income went to my tuition fee as well as

that of my two other siblings who also studied in Silliman.

An institution known for it high quality of education, Silliman University charges premium, and although I had been granted a scholarship for joining the university dance troupe, the 10% discount barely made a dent on my tuition fee. My parents didn’t mind though because they are confident I’m getting the highest quality of education and they were self-assured I would get a good-paying job after I graduate. Well, I did! There were times during job interviews that employers would ...

• tell ne they have high regard for Sillimanians and that my graduating from there is already a plus point.

Each time I look back to my college days, I get hit by a feeling of nostalgia. Silliman has become a big part of me. The quality Christian education has molded me ti become the better person that I am today. The rigid training has made me weather tough times at work.

I miss Silliman a lot, and each year I would try to come back and join the Founder’s

Day in August to get together with fellow Sillimanians and feel the so-called Silliman spirit all over again. I miss the sprawling campus dotted with acacia trees, the myriad of books in the library (once dubbed to be the biggest library in Southeast Asia), the weekly cultural shows at the Luce Auditorium, the meditation moments at the amphitheater . . . I could go on and on.

Silliman is indeed a jewel of a university. When the time comes, I would definitely send my children then—that is, if I can afford to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 503112554030131/k2311a1231/12.31.08