Green Giant Broccoli and Cauliflower Giant Bites  » Food  »
1.0
  • I thought a popsicle might satisfy me, but when I opened the freezer door, this bag of bites reached out and grabbed me by the salivary glands demanding that I heat and eat, which is what I did
  • Unfortunately, they were so soft, they wouldn't hold their shapes
  • Therefore, I would recommend that anyone choosing to try these after reading this opt to pan fry them to make their exteriors crisper than baking or nuking did

• by chatombreux

One of my favorite snacks is the broccoli bites that are so popular at the steak sandwich shops in the Philadelphia metro area. Little bits of broccoli with cheddar or mozzarella cheese rolled together and breaded and fried….so bad yet soooooo good!!

When I happened upon a bag of frozen Giant Bites in Broccoli and Cauliflower, I jumped on them because I also love cauliflower with cheese sauce and fried cauliflower. So, I looked forward to when I would be in the mood for these little taste treats.

Tonight was that night. I just wanted something to eat, but didn’t want to “assemble” anything. I thought a popsicle might satisfy me,

but when I opened the freezer door, this bag of bites reached out and grabbed me by the salivary glands demanding that I heat and eat, which is what I did.

All I can say is, “NEVER again!” First of all, these weren’t fried (although, to be fair, I probably could have put a little oil in a pan and done that myself). Secondly, the predominant seasoning I could taste was garlic. I am NOT a fan of garlic - at least, not if it tastes like fresh garlic. Thirdly, and this may have been my fault since I didn’t read this, the bag says “with Italian Herb Sauce.” ...

• I was surprised because there was no sauce packet in the bag - but then I realized that they must have meant this was the base the broccoli and cauliflower were in BEFORE they covered them in breadcrumbs. Which explains why they were too soft to be picked up with a fork (I didn’t want to be burnt by the melted contents, so I opted for a fork).

Now, these were meant to be appetizers. I followed the heating instructions precisely. They were meant to be finger food. Unfortunately, they were so soft, they wouldn’t hold their shapes. I don’t know how someone could eat them immediately after they

were heated without having bits of them falling and breaking off. Therefore, I would recommend that anyone choosing to try these after reading this opt to pan fry them to make their exteriors crisper than baking or nuking did.

There may be people who like these, people who enjoy the garlic taste and smell along with the Italian seasonings that permeated each “bite”. Those of you who do like these flavors, feel free to try these. They may be right up your alley. But, if you, like me, have grown accustomed to the cheesier bites, similar to poppers, but made with broccoli instead, don’t go for these - they aren’t even close.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 273112554020131/k2311a1231/12.31.08