Great Yarmouth  » Travel  »
2.0
Norfolk, England
  • I have had a misfortunate experience of putting this description to the test
  • These I consider relatively low prices, a well-developed network of shops, pubs, takeaways, cafes and restaurants, among which the one not fond of British food can find Chinese, Thai and Indian cuisines, as well as European
  • A town with a word great in its name should be more international-friendly and cosmopolitan, in my opinion especially if it claims to be a sea-resort and a destination place for tourists
  • Personally I recommend Maple restaurant on Regent Rd

• by Argentum Vivum

Great Yarmouth is a little coastal town in East Anglia which claims the title of “one of England’s most popular sea-resorts”. I have had a misfortunate experience of putting this description to the test. I can’t say I’m satisfied with the results.

First of all I’d like to begin with some positive aspects. These I consider relatively low prices, a well-developed network of shops, pubs, takeaways, cafes and restaurants, among which the one not fond of British food can find Chinese, Thai and Indian cuisines, as well as European.

There are also several museums to pay a visit to and lots of amusement facilities, including piers, Pleasure

Beach and suchlike stuff. There are also curious places within 50 miles’ range from town a county capital Norwich, Fritton Lake surrounded by lovely woodland, Pleasure Hills and other sights worth your attention.

As to what I’ve found negative firstly, if you’re in Yarmouth for summer heat, sun and warmth of the sea, forget it. You are unlikely to get any, for this town is mostly grim enough even for English coastal resort.

North Sea is cold for foreign visitors to venture a swim, whereas hot weather is rare and valuable. :-) Secondly local residents are not always friendly to non-British.

I ...

• can’t remember any other English town or city (and I’ve visited lots of them), where I was constantly bullied and had no other choice but put up a good old fight just due to the fact I’m a foreign tourist. That wasn’t very relaxing, I say.

So, if you’re in for depressive weather but low prices (for England), relatively good service and frequent punchy-punchy it’s your perfect place for rest. If not I advise you Brighton, South Cornwall and other coastal resorts areas.

A town with a word “great” in its name should be more international-friendly and cosmopolitan, in my opinion

especially if it claims to be a sea-resort and a destination place for tourists.

However, if you do go there, here are 3 tips: - eat at Chinese restaurants with good buffet menus thus you’ll economize on meals and have good hot food.

Personally I recommend “Maple” restaurant on Regent Rd. ; - there’s a splendid school of English for overseas students in this town, fit for any age.

It’s called “Frisby’s Home Of English” and offers sensible fees for living with the host-family, eating and studying English. Cheaper and more useful for your language skills than a hotel; - travel beyond Great Yarmouth, because England is vast and very interesting for any real traveler;

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382912553461131/k2311a1229/12.29.08